How to get ducks to go into coop at night?

My ducks normally would go to their coup in the evening on their own however lately since they’ve been hanging out in the pond all day, they refuse to go to bed. I try to coax them out of the pond but the won’t get out and I swear they even mess with me by swimming up like they will and then very quickly swimming away. I’ve tried throwing rocks behind them to scare them out but that no longer works. I just stood outside for like 15 minutes in the rain while it’s near freezing. They absolutely will not get out for treats or food. I even tried not putting food out since this morning and coaxing them out with food now and they still won’t. I’m about to give up because it doesn’t seem there’s anything else I can do but it still worries me so much that something will get them at night even though they stay in the pond for the most part. Is there anything I’m not doing that I can? Or should I just leave them be and hope nothing gets them?

My ducks normally would go to their coup in the evening on their own however lately since they’ve been hanging out in the pond all day, they refuse to go to bed. I try to coax them out of the pond but the won’t get out and I swear they even mess with me by swimming up like they will and then very quickly swimming away. I’ve tried throwing rocks behind them to scare them out but that no longer works. I just stood outside for like 15 minutes in the rain while it’s near freezing. They absolutely will not get out for treats or food. I even tried not putting food out since this morning and coaxing them out with food now and they still won’t. I’m about to give up because it doesn’t seem there’s anything else I can do but it still worries me so much that something will get them at night even though they stay in the pond for the most part. Is there anything I’m not doing that I can? Or should I just leave them be and hope nothing gets them?

Do you have a pen to confine them to once they are out?

Have a friend help with this...
Take a long rope, one person on each end and walk slowly on opposite sides of the pond. As the rope gets close they should swim away from it and toward shore. Once out herd them into their pen. I would not let them back on the pond until they are back in the habit of sleeping in their coop.
Depending on your pond it may be pretty difficult but worth a try.

Doesn’t sound like at this point there is much you can do. If you have a pen for them do they come up to eat? Maybe if you only feed them late afternoon and they are in the pen eating close the gate then so you have them there to put up.
I usually put their food down by the pond but I’ll start keeping it up by their coop. Thank you!

Do you have a pen to confine them to once they are out?

Have a friend help with this...
Take a long rope, one person on each end and walk slowly on opposite sides of the pond. As the rope gets close they should swim away from it and toward shore. Once out herd them into their pen. I would not let them back on the pond until they are back in the habit of sleeping in their coop.
Depending on your pond it may be pretty difficult but worth a try.
They just have their coop and then they free range and go straight to the pond. It’s too big to do the rope thing quite that way but I’ll definitely try this when they come closer to the shore. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom