How to get ducks to go into coop at night?

That's awesome how you do it?
I had the food up at the house where it used to be but they didn’t want to leave the pond to get it all day so they were hungry. I brought the food to them and shook it until they came up on land to eat and then herded them back to the coop (I’m surprised they let me although it wasn’t easy). Then I gave them their food and they ate the whole bowl so I gave them more so maybe that will help them associate it with food. They were pretty mad though lol

But you got them safe inside that’s what counts! They don’t hold a grudge. Hopefully they’ll keep it up. Let us know. When I first started herding mine I used two old mop handle like arm extensions and now I just open my arm and they respond they really like repetition.

But you got them safe inside that’s what counts! They don’t hold a grudge. Hopefully they’ll keep it up. Let us know. When I first started herding mine I used two old mop handle like arm extensions and now I just open my arm and they respond they really like repetition.
Okay will. Yeah I used a long stick last night but I’ll definitely grab a broom this time

hi everyone, this is the first time i have ducks..and boy are they messy ...chicks so much easier to me..i have 6 pekin and 6 ruans had them in there coop for 1 month before I let them out. they do not want to go back in coop we have to catch them very tired trying to get them. anyone have suggestions..they go near it but not in it..don't want predators to get them otherwise id leave out..thanks
yes very messy..I let mine go though I leave access to the coop, outside of really cold days they rarely go into the coop they seem to go where they go, but mine have always stayed close. They have gone in the road a couple times though. It appear I have a Duck, Swedish Blue, that leaves in the morning and returns in the evening. I don’t know how long she stays but she is here in the morning…before she goes out again. It appears the small flock goes off in the early morning hours but she doesn’t return. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I was thinking she has a nest of eggs?

Last edited:
hi everyone, this is the first time i have ducks..and boy are they messy ...chicks so much easier to me..i have 6 pekin and 6 ruans had them in there coop for 1 month before I let them out. they do not want to go back in coop we have to catch them very tired trying to get them. anyone have suggestions..they go near it but not in it..don't want predators to get them otherwise id leave out..thanks
I’m having the same problem!
Ducks want to free range 24/7. What can we do to keep them safe?

Back
Top Bottom