kefir and impacted crop

LottieRaz

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
Leeds UK
Hi there,

I am only just 4 weeks since I became a chicken keeper. And finding that these girls are keeping me on my toes.

About 4-5 days ago, I noticed that in the mornings my warren had a small amount of something left in her crop.
I had massaged, and let her carry on as per normal.

SHe eats and seems alert and generally fine, but the only difference I feel like there has been is that she seems thinner.

so for the next 3 days I had fed her kefir and kombucha (mixed into pellets). Which she had devoured.

Her crop had gone squishy yesterday, and this morning find that she still has some impaction.
After massaging, it disappears and as soon as I put her down she has a big smelly poop.

Does this sound OK? And normal?

I don't really know what I am doing!

Thank you for your thoughts, and ideas if you have any to help guide me?

Hi there,

I am only just 4 weeks since I became a chicken keeper. And finding that these girls are keeping me on my toes.

About 4-5 days ago, I noticed that in the mornings my warren had a small amount of something left in her crop.
I had massaged, and let her carry on as per normal.

SHe eats and seems alert and generally fine, but the only difference I feel like there has been is that she seems thinner.

so for the next 3 days I had fed her kefir and kombucha (mixed into pellets). Which she had devoured.

Her crop had gone squishy yesterday, and this morning find that she still has some impaction.
After massaging, it disappears and as soon as I put her down she has a big smelly poop.

Does this sound OK? And normal?

I don't really know what I am doing!

Thank you for your thoughts, and ideas if you have any to help guide me?

Do they have a source of grit available free choice?
Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, then treat her accordingly to the link that @N F C provided you.

Do they have a source of grit available free choice?
Re-check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, then treat her accordingly to the link that @N F C provided you.

Yes, they have the garden to forage.

Thanks, will check again in the morning, it feels like a relief to have gotten through the doughy mass.

Yes, they have the garden to forage.

Thanks, will check again in the morning, it feels like a relief to have gotten through the doughy mass.
The link that N F C gave you is very good, you may want to read it.
I agree with the whole article and have used some of the treatments outlined in there myself.

Back
Top Bottom