Major swollen eye RIR rooster

Karen612

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
Golan Heights, Israel
Hey everyone. Yesterday I noticed my RIR rooster’s left eye was extremely swollen and the eye looks a bit grey. He also seems to not be able to hold his head completely stable, but he had a neck injury a few months ago.
he’s not sneezing and he’s still crowing. Poop looks normal. Our chicks free range in about 300m yard and their coop as very good ventilation

I should add that we live in israel, and the vets I’ve contacted have said “we don’t treat things but if he dies we’ll do an autopsy and tell you what it was “ 🙄
15AFBF16-EC31-424D-94FF-D7549992A5A3.jpeg
903C1C29-6286-470A-BD93-AF8103DBA3F5.jpeg

Hard to see the center of his eye, but is it cut or injured?

Either way, it looks like he's to have pus in the eye. See if you can flush with saline, press the pus out. Put a little eye ointment in the eye. I'm not sure what you have available to you - something like original neosporin or terramycin eye ointment? Vetericyn eye gel?

It looks like he is blinded, but I would do as @Wyorp Rock recommended to flush the eye and apply either antibiotic drops or ointment 2-3 times per day. Here is a graphic video of removing pus in order for antibiotics to help:

It looks like he is blinded, but I would do as @Wyorp Rock recommended to flush the eye and apply either antibiotic drops or ointment 2-3 times per day. Here is a graphic video of removing pus in order for antibiotics to help:

Oh boy this should be fun. Specially with a rooster. I can get some antibiotic cream but it won’t be till Friday because Yom Kippur start tonight

Taking him off the roost after dark probably would be the best time to attempt this. You could also place him inside a wire dog crate with food and water for more easily treating him twice a day. You can use saline or eye wash, QTips, tweezers, and tissues or gauze to help remove the pus. It may take more than one session. Once pus is squeezed out and the eye seems clean, then flush the eye before applying the medicine. Oral antibiotics may be helpful as well.

Taking him off the roost after dark probably would be the best time to attempt this. You could also place him inside a wire dog crate with food and water for more easily treating him twice a day. You can use saline or eye wash, QTips, tweezers, and tissues or gauze to help remove the pus. It may take more than one session. Once pus is squeezed out and the eye seems clean, then flush the eye before applying the medicine. Oral antibiotics may be helpful as well.
Thanks. Like I said I won’t be able to get anything till Friday sadly as Yom Kippur starts in a few hours (it’s the holiest day of the year in israel, everything is shut down) so I’ll do what I can till then and give him antibiotic herbs and such in his water

This is what my flock's eyes look like when they have respiratory infections. Twice I've had respiratory infections move through several birds in my flock, and they'll have eye swelling, sometimes to the point of the eye swelling shut, and they have all recovered naturally on their own. A few times I've administered antibiotics and they recovered faster. I have not had a diagnosis because I've not lost any birds to this. Hopefully sharing my experience can help!

Back
Top Bottom