Mazuri feed questions

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
I think we've settled on ordering Mazurri waterfowl feed for our coming ducklings but i have a couple questions on using their feeds.

-Do i still need to supplement niacin if using the Mazuri feed?
-How long do i use their Starter feed? Their website just says it's for all newly hatched or adolescent birds. But the protein level is 18% and i thought that was too high during the "grower" stage of older than 3 weeks of age?
-When do i start their Maintenance feed? Their website says it's for all non-breeding mature, fully feathered birds. Do i wait till they're of age to be laying or switch to this at the "grower" stage?

Thanks for the help. Their website is a bit vague.

Mazuri waterfowl formula should have the required Niacin. Do they have a phone number you can call. I think maintenance is similar to grower formulas, I just can't remember the exact age to tansition to maintenance grower considering that it has been a few years since I raised ducklings.

Hmmm. I am using Mazuri breeder right now in combination with some other feed, and it's the first I have used that brand.

I think being a couple of percent high on protein might not be too bad especially if you incorporate fresh greens, peas and other low protein treats in their food. I used rolled oats to drop protein percentages because I couldn't find anything lower than 28% when mine were ducklings.

I think any time after ten weeks of age you can start adding maintenance into the starter to slowly change over. Regarding niacin, it's hard to know, but Mazuri does have a good reputation for a balanced feed that's good for ducks. To be on the safe side, you could supplement with poultry vitamin-probiotic-electrolyte mix, which is good to do anyway, or a sprinkling of brewer's yeast on their food a few times a week.

Bugs have niacin in them, so when they're old enough and the weather is mild enough, getting them out where they can hunt bugs will help.

My thoughts on this are from raising Runners, f.y.i., not the larger breeds.

I found a breakdown of all the vitamins in their food. I'll compare it to what Storey's Guide to Ducks says the content should be for certain things. Unfortunately i'm going to have to order the Mazuri feed directly from them so i'm only planning on using it for the starter and possibly grower stages because it's not an expense i can continue with long term yet i want to start them out as best as i can. I'll see if there's a number i can call tomorrow and ask what ages specifically each feed is meant for.

Mazuri is made by purina, so any local feed store who orders purina products can also get you the Mazuri instock. No need to pay the shipping expense.

Even TSC can order it? Because that's where i am able to get the Purina feed for my chickens. They didn't tell me they could order it just that they didn't have it.

Most likely not since their inventory is corporate controlled. I would look for a local feed store to buy from. Many times the local stores are more helpful, have more knowledge and will work with customers.

My local feed stores (all of them - TSC, the family owned store, and the one run w/ ACE hardware) will not order Mazuri waterfowl for me at all.
They had a few bags when I started the ducks at the ACE, but they sold out & won't re-order. I bought the only ones they ordered, and I was the only one.
I can't get anyone to order for me. They say they pay too much for it to make it worth their while. No profit, no go.

Last edited:
Most likely not since their inventory is corporate controlled. I would look for a local feed store to buy from. Many times the local stores are more helpful, have more knowledge and will work with customers.

Sadly i'm dealing with idiot's locally. The Nutrena dealers i talked to didn't even know that Nutrena makes 2 different versions of their feeds. One of them couldn't even tell me what feed i should use for my ducks. The Agway dealer can't answer any of my questions at all (they're mostly a hardware store so maybe that's why?). The one store that is a farm store/feed store exclusively was recommending a 20% protein feed for their entire lives! So our only choices really are to order Mazuri from their website and pay a fortune, or use chick feed and tweak it as needed. My hubby's work situation will be the final deciding factor. We would like to order the Mazuri for a while, but if he ends up getting layed off it'll be chick feed that we supplement to accomodate the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom