Question about mites and elector psp

The permethrin is toxic to cats at lower doses than what affects other mammals or birds. However, once it's dried in the coop and on the chickens, it's okay for the cats who aren't washing the birds or licking that coop!
My barn cats have been fine out there, no problems. They aren't at the coop or involved with the chickens until everything has been dry for hours.
I'm saving the spinosad for the time when permethrin fails, so I'll have another choice. May it be less $$$ by then!
Mary

NHUH I have a question. I also have cats and dogs and I just treated the coop and run with elector psp. It should be dry by now, did u have any problems with it and ur cats? I opted for this instead of permethrin as well cause of the cats. How long before you let the cats around the chickens? Thanks

We let them back out after it was dry. Didn’t have any problems!

Hi everyone!! I have a serious mite issue right now.. I have a new 10x12 tuff shed coop.. I’m curious if I take all shavings and nesting boxes out do I just spray the inside with the Elector inside a weed sprayer all over the coop walls, roosts and benches ? No need to spray the ceiling I’m assuming ? Also can I clean out the metal nesting boxes and spray them also? Safe to put in the sun to dry up side down? I was wanting to just dip the 20 girls first thing in the AM then clean the coop too.. I’m in Calif so it’s pretty warm right now..stupid question but I dip and then squeeze dry a little with the towel and let loose to dry? And how long do you leave them in the warm water/elector for?? Had chickens for several years and a mysterious rooster showed up one day and that’s all it took =(

Just a quick dunk, and let the chickens air dry in the sun. The residual effect on the skin won't be affected by the sun. You've got the right idea about treating the coop.

If you ever need to treat for scaly leg mites, I soak the legs and feet for ten minutes and let them air dry. These mites hide deep under the scales so it takes a longer soak than dipping for lice and coop mites.

Just a quick dunk, and let the chickens air dry in the sun. The residual effect on the skin won't be affected by the sun. You've got the right idea about treating the coop.

If you ever need to treat for scaly leg mites, I soak the legs and feet for ten minutes and let them air dry. These mites hide deep under the scales so it takes a longer soak than dipping for lice and coop mites.
Thank you so much .. Hoping that never happens but great to know.. So you use the Elector for that too? So if I dunk them I only do that once? And how often should I have to clean/spray the coop?

Hi everyone!! I have a serious mite issue right now.. I have a new 10x12 tuff shed coop.. I’m curious if I take all shavings and nesting boxes out do I just spray the inside with the Elector inside a weed sprayer all over the coop walls, roosts and benches ? No need to spray the ceiling I’m assuming ? Also can I clean out the metal nesting boxes and spray them also? Safe to put in the sun to dry up side down? I was wanting to just dip the 20 girls first thing in the AM then clean the coop too.. I’m in Calif so it’s pretty warm right now..stupid question but I dip and then squeeze dry a little with the towel and let loose to dry? And how long do you leave them in the warm water/elector for?? Had chickens for several years and a mysterious rooster showed up one day and that’s all it took =(

I

yeah a quick dunk is fine. don’t put their heads under water tho ;) we just used a spray bottle and sprayed them under their wings and around the butt. That was enough. For the coop: we had a very serious infestation here in SoCal and I had unscrew all boards where these little buggers could hide and spray there. It’s gonna be super annoying and I was ready to burn down the coop.
I’m also afraid that they will get used to the elector so right now I’m using neem oil and water and soap and then the elector sparingly. I switch every 5 days for 3 weeks and it gets rid of them. I also spray everything including the ceiling. It dried fairly quickly right now. I wish you all the luck. I know how annoying this is, I feel your pain ;)

I don’t want mites, so I just spray everything inside the coop and they’re sheltered run. I don’t spray it outside because it kills everything.It kills bees and all beneficial insects too, so you want to be really careful with it You don’t want to spray it anywhere the sun hits anyhow because the sun breaks down the effectiveness. I use a cotton ball to put it on their butts after I give them a butt bath and also run it on their feet. One of my girls has two lifted scales on each foot and it is crippling her up. I was trying Vaseline but it did not clear it up, so this week I am trying the elector and dipping her feet in it.

I don’t want mites, so I just spray everything inside the coop and they’re sheltered run. I don’t spray it outside because it kills everything.It kills bees and all beneficial insects too, so you want to be really careful with it You don’t want to spray it anywhere the sun hits anyhow because the sun breaks down the effectiveness. I use a cotton ball to put it on their butts after I give them a butt bath and also run it on their feet. One of my girls has two lifted scales on each foot and it is crippling her up. I was trying Vaseline but it did not clear it up, so this week I am trying the elector and dipping her feet in it.
I only do it once a year.

I

yeah a quick dunk is fine. don’t put their heads under water tho ;) we just used a spray bottle and sprayed them under their wings and around the butt. That was enough. For the coop: we had a very serious infestation here in SoCal and I had unscrew all boards where these little buggers could hide and spray there. It’s gonna be super annoying and I was ready to burn down the coop.
I’m also afraid that they will get used to the elector so right now I’m using neem oil and water and soap and then the elector sparingly. I switch every 5 days for 3 weeks and it gets rid of them. I also spray everything including the ceiling. It dried fairly quickly right now. I wish you all the luck. I know how annoying this is, I feel your pain ;)
YUCKY but so good to know!! Is this like once their in it’s almost impossible to get rid of? GRRRR so not looking forward to this journey =(

Glad you mentioned about being careful because I don’t want to kill any of the good bugs like bees and butterflies.. if I have windows in the coop would you recommend maybe putting tint on them to filter the sunlight?

Back
Top Bottom