Question about mites and elector psp

Glad you mentioned about being careful because I don’t want to kill any of the good bugs like bees and butterflies.. if I have windows in the coop would you recommend maybe putting tint on them to filter the sunlight?
Not necessarily, all it takes is for the mite to walk over an area that has the residue on it and that will kill them. They use it in poultry houses and they just spray it in rows so when the mite walks over it they die, but same with any other bug even flies will die because my whole covered run area I have screened over the hardware cloth so that mosquitoes can’t get at them at night and so I can spray it inside and it sticks to the screening and every insect that comes in contact with the inside of their covered run dies. I try to be very careful with it because of the bees.

Not necessarily, all it takes is for the mite to walk over an area that has the residue on it and that will kill them. They use it in poultry houses and they just spray it in rows so when the mite walks over it they die, but same with any other bug even flies will die because my whole covered run area I have screened over the hardware cloth so that mosquitoes can’t get at them at night and so I can spray it inside and it sticks to the screening and every insect that comes in contact with the inside of their covered run dies. I try to be very careful with it because of the bees.
So great to know thank you so very very much!!! I free range mine and I wish there was a way to keep mine confined more .. and that mysterious rooster would of never ended up with my girls in their coop.. Not even sure what happened to him.. He disappeared as fast as he arrived.

YUCKY but so good to know!! Is this like once their in it’s almost impossible to get rid of? GRRRR so not looking forward to this journey =(

well, I would say as long as you have birds coming to your house it’s pretty clear you will have to deal with this every year ;) But as long as you check their coop after dark when it’s the season and act as soon as you see something it’s very manageable. Also the elector is expensive but I put it in a zip lock bag and it’s truly lasting years. Also switching it up with the neem oil seems to be really helping. The northern fowl mites are harder go get rid of imo. We had the red mites first this year and they went away after just one application with the elector. Then the northern ones moved back in and I had to do 2 sessions of neem and 2 sessions of elector for three weeks. We are in week three and I haven’t seen them last night. Hopefully you only have to go through this once. Last year it was so bad we found them in our house and on us, because we brought them inside after locking the chickens in etc...

well, I would say as long as you have birds coming to your house it’s pretty clear you will have to deal with this every year ;) But as long as you check their coop after dark when it’s the season and act as soon as you see something it’s very manageable. Also the elector is expensive but I put it in a zip lock bag and it’s truly lasting years. Also switching it up with the neem oil seems to be really helping. The northern fowl mites are harder go get rid of imo. We had the red mites first this year and they went away after just one application with the elector. Then the northern ones moved back in and I had to do 2 sessions of neem and 2 sessions of elector for three weeks. We are in week three and I haven’t seen them last night. Hopefully you only have to go through this once. Last year it was so bad we found them in our house and on us, because we brought them inside after locking the chickens in etc...
I’m pretty sure I have the Northern fowl type .. I’m wondering if to be safe I should wait like 2 weeks and re dip and clean out the coop to bare and spray again?? Any thoughts on that? Also I’m getting some young birds from a friend.. their only a couple months old and are fully feathered but not ready to join the flock yet.. Do you think it’s safe to dip these guys? I’m just terrified now and if I hadn’t already promised to take them I wouldn’t because I trying to get rid of this.. They will be staying in a smaller coop away from the others and it’s also a coops I scrubbed and cleaned out and sprayed so it should be safe.. also I had a broody hen sitting on some eggs should I dip her too or what should I do? I hate this MITE THING grrrrr ..

I’m pretty sure I have the Northern fowl type .. I’m wondering if to be safe I should wait like 2 weeks and re dip and clean out the coop to bare and spray again?? Any thoughts on that? Also I’m getting some young birds from a friend.. their only a couple months old and are fully feathered but not ready to join the flock yet.. Do you think it’s safe to dip these guys? I’m just terrified now and if I hadn’t already promised to take them I wouldn’t because I trying to get rid of this.. They will be staying in a smaller coop away from the others and it’s also a coops I scrubbed and cleaned out and sprayed so it should be safe.. also I had a broody hen sitting on some eggs should I dip her too or what should I do? I hate this MITE THING grrrrr ..

I would def repeat the application since the mites go through a laying cycle and you might have some hatching eggs starting the process over. As for the young new hens: I would just spray a little under the wings and butt area and keep them quarantined for a couple of weeks. That’s a good practice in general with any birds coming in, mites or not. When I raised my neighbors chicks they came with mites and lice just being a few days old and I took a cotton swab and dabbed the elector mixture under their wings. Bugs were gone in a couple of days. It is a safe product.

If you continue seeing mites even with multiple applications of elector you can message me and we can talk about dosing your chickens with Ivermectin. It’s a very controversial thing in this forum. I prefer to talk about that in private. I have done extensive research in English and German and I have done it myself to our rescue chickens and had great success.

I wish you a mite free coop! Hang in there. At least you know it won’t ever be this bad again since you will have a doctor in mites after this one ;)

I would def repeat the application since the mites go through a laying cycle and you might have some hatching eggs starting the process over. As for the young new hens: I would just spray a little under the wings and butt area and keep them quarantined for a couple of weeks. That’s a good practice in general with any birds coming in, mites or not. When I raised my neighbors chicks they came with mites and lice just being a few days old and I took a cotton swab and dabbed the elector mixture under their wings. Bugs were gone in a couple of days. It is a safe product.

If you continue seeing mites even with multiple applications of elector you can message me and we can talk about dosing your chickens with Ivermectin. It’s a very controversial thing in this forum. I prefer to talk about that in private. I have done extensive research in English and German and I have done it myself to our rescue chickens and had great success.

I wish you a mite free coop! Hang in there. At least you know it won’t ever be this bad again since you will have a doctor in mites after this one ;)
Thank you soooooo very very much!!! So at what point would you redo the treatment? And would you get rid of the shavings and also do the dip again too? I will for sure be keeping the young ones quarantined until they are older so I will for sure be keeping them separate in their own coop area

Back
Top Bottom