Roosters are awesome

Those are all Angels eggs...
Kong x Angel
I'm sorry, I'm mistaken. Those were Angels first 18 eggs laid. As a breeder standpoint for BCMs you want to keep track of the first 20-30 eggs your pullet lays. This gives you the average color of egg that she will lay. In case you don't know, Black Copper Marans lay the darkest egg of any chicken and thru the American Poultry Association (APA) for the breed Standard of Perfection they must lay at least a #4 on this color chart to be considered a Marans.
Screenshot_20240323-101400.png

The (APA SOP) follows the French standard (Feathered legs) so with me learning how to breed and follow the French standard I'm trying to improve my Marans, fix what faults I have and darken the eggs by only hatching from my darkest layers.
Those eggs in the pic were from Angel who is from Joannie (my darkest layer)
And yes, Kong is the sire (dad) to all 8 chicks you saw. King has too much white in his feathering (white is a fault) so he's in my mixed flock.
🙂

Those are all Angels eggs...
Kong x Angel
lol right. I meant did Kong lend a “helping hand” with those eggs. Those eggs are beautiful, so dark brown! Name your price!! Obviously not for ALL those beauties, I’d like to stay married, my husband kills the spiders. Seriously if you ever want to sell a few please let me know. I’d love to have Kongs decedents.

lol right. I meant did Kong lend a “helping hand” with those eggs. Those eggs are beautiful, so dark brown! Name your price!! Obviously not for ALL those beauties, I’d like to stay married, my husband kills the spiders. Seriously if you ever want to sell a few please let me know. I’d love to have Kongs decedents.
🙂 Those specific eggs in that pic were not fertile. But yes, Kong is the sire of all 8 of the chicks I just hatched.
You get yourself situated, (your gonna need a bigger coop🤪) let me grow these out for a few months and I'll get you some eggs for the price of shipping. ♥️

Hi, I live in the country and about a 1/2-1 mile away from a neighbor who apparently has a rooster. I’ve heard him crow everyday for weeks. (I love a roosters crow so fine by me). Anyway, I put my RSL pullets outside full time about 5-6 days ago. And they loved the coop but were scared to go into the run. They’d only come out if I was out there with them until..they heard the rooster crow. At first I thought it was a coincidence but everyday only when the rooster starts crowing will they go into the run without me. This morning we raised the coop door, and walked back onto the porch. The girls stayed in the coop, my hubby says I’ll go lure them out. I said just wait. About 6:15 or so Rooster starts crowing out my girls came. It is the coolest thing. I’ve got a baby roo atm he’s only 4-5 weeks but I’m hoping my girls listen to him as well as the rando rooster down the road lol.
My Black Copper Maran is only 10 weeks old and he's already establishing order over 10 pullets. He just started letting out a hoarse little crow (his wattles aren't fully formed). He pecks at the girls to alert them to go in the coop at dusk. He waits for all of them to roost while he checks around the run (for threats and/or to make sure everyone is inside?) and then he stands in the doorway and scopes the surroundings for predators before he'll go in to roost. Every morning, he's first at the door and does a lookout before anyone leaves the roost. IDK if they're all like this, but my boy is amazing! I've been rewarding him with strawberry tops. 🍓😋

🙂 Those specific eggs in that pic were not fertile. But yes, Kong is the sire of all 8 of the chicks I just hatched.
You get yourself situated, (your gonna need a bigger coop🤪) let me grow these out for a few months and I'll get you some eggs for the price of shipping. ♥️
Thank you so much!!!

My Black Copper Maran is only 10 weeks old and he's already establishing order over 10 pullets. He just started letting out a hoarse little crow (his wattles aren't fully formed). He pecks at the girls to alert them to go in the coop at dusk. He waits for all of them to roost while he checks around the run (for threats and/or to make sure everyone is inside?) and then he stands in the doorway and scopes the surroundings for predators before he'll go in to roost. Every morning, he's first at the door and does a lookout before anyone leaves the roost. IDK if they're all like this, but my boy is amazing! I've been rewarding him with strawberry tops. 🍓😋
Sounds like a great boy you got, pics of him?

Fyi... I've read strawberry tops are toxic to chickens. I don't feed them to my birds. Is this true? Don't know... just letting you know

https://ranchr.ag/blog/can-chickens-eat-strawberries/#:~:text=Can chickens eat the tops,tops, stems, and leaves.

Omg that is so awesome! How do you do separate flocks? I’ve read about ppl doing it, but have no clue how that works. I would LOVE to have more than one rooster!
I want to know this too. I have a 10-week old Black Copper Maran that's 5 weeks older than the rest of the flock. I thought I had 11 pullets, but one of the Starlight Green Eggers turned out to be a roo. There's been a bit of a power struggle between them, but I think the bigger Maran is winning the battle. I'm not sure what I'll do if they can't get along. There are 12, so enough to separate. Do you have to build separate coops/runs?

Back
Top Bottom