Starter

Countryman101

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
What is the best starter to get for the baby's I'm running out. what I started out with was chicken starter with some other stufer I added but I can't think of it on the top of the top of my head. Tractorsupply didn't have duck starter so I went with that.

Use an all flock, works great. If you are concerned for their niacin intake, add a pinch of nutritional yeast to each little food dish you give them.

as @Yardmom says above, Purina's FLock Raiser is a good choice, and is known to have enough niacin.

You can also make sure your brooder doesn't have a smooth floor - helps them avoid knee issues early on. I use a towel from the $1 store. Replace it with some frequency.

Mine have access to ground before they have anything other than the commercial feed. Occasionally I pick a few pebbles for them when they are confined to a brooder. If you need to buy grit the same grit can be used for chicks and ducklings.

What is the best starter to get for the baby's I'm running out. what I started out with was chicken starter with some other stufer I added but I can't think of it on the top of the top of my head. Tractorsupply didn't have duck starter so I went with that.
Mazuri Waterfowl Starter is really nice. I didn’t lose any of my ducklings on it. I also add an additional vitamin and probiotic mix to the water that is on the Stromberg’s Poultry site. We start them on chick grit about 3 days before we feed their first fresh food. Usually we feed chick grit at about 7 days old and fresh food at about 10 days. I sprinkle the chick grit on their feed to make sure they eat some. I carried that habit and still sprinkle about a Tablespoon of layer sized grit on their food daily (for a flock of 25 birds). If they don’t eat it I just put it back over on top of the new food. This way I know they are looking at it and surely eating some and I don’t have to deal with another bowl to fill.

Back
Top Bottom