what else do you give your quail to eat besides bird feed?

Franzen Farms

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Wilmington, IL
we had a bunch of left over tomatoes from the garden so I cut them in half and threw them in the pen, it was like giving candy to the kids they loved them. I was wondering what else have you guys found they might they go crazy over? the wife suggested that I maybe throw any old bananas in there next time we have some.

My coturnix get just about anything, but they love a couple handfuls of clover! The buttons mainly get their feed and some parakeet seed once in a while, but I give them meal worms on occasion.

I use a cheese grater and grate up apples, zucchini, etc. I toss in soft fruits and veggies all quartered and they love it all. The shredded stuff they will chase each other around for the bits.

i grew chicory and some other "bitter" greens that we didn't eat much of so i just pull them up, knock off most of the soil and toss it into their cages. They approve ! i think they like the soil more than the green parts though. hehehe
also any "orange" veggies like carrot and winter type squashes...i chop them up, stick them in the microwave till they're softened then give them to the silly spoiled birds.

Wanna See Something Funny?--- Give Bobs Corn On The Cob.... That Stuff Is Like Crack To Them--- 1 Bite And Their Hooked, And They Will Do Anything To Get It!
smile.png

Quote:
So will coturnix and button quail! Normally, though, I'll slice the corn off for me then give them the cob. They get whatever I missed.

Sometimes I break a fresh ear up into a bunch of pieces for them (no way the buttons need a big chunk!). They go nuts over it.

I have a coffee grinder I use to grind stuff up for mine. Tonight they had premium dry cat food, dried split green peas, kamut grains, spelt, rye, wheat kernals, corn and probably more stuff I'm forgetting, all ground up in the coffee grinder. Then they had some oat grass I sprouted for them and some sunflower seed sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom