āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Oooh, I love autumn amber. I have a gold Manchurian and ssc tuxedo that are my two favorites in my group. I should probably put them together at some point
I have some SSC as well. That is the one I could not remember for the life of me. I have all of mine together and cannot wait to get fertile eggs. It will be such a surprise to what hatches.

So I opened the remaining 24 eggs today. I had 7 with any development: 4 that quit early, 1 quit halfway through and 2 just recover hatched.

One of the ones that never hatched in glad didn't. It has all sorts of problems it looked like. Horrible scissorbeak and I think maybe a hernia? It had the normal yolk ask but then it also had a red sack as well sticking out of it's abdomen.

One of the eggs with nothing was odd though. It has a air cell almost 2/3 od the egg and the yolk looked like a cutie orange slice. Same texture, size and constancy. The membrane was all hard as well.

I know itā€™s not a quail but I wanted to ask here as Iā€™m so confused!

So, today is day 17 of Silkie eggs Iā€™m incubating. Theyā€™re coming off the turner tomorrow for lockdown so I candled tonight to look for quitters as you do.

Four of them looked like my diagram Iā€™ve drawn here as I never got photos:

A62BDF12-1D23-46E9-98D4-F8BFB6055A08.jpeg

Of course, this isnā€™t how a day 17 egg should look so I took them out.

Except when I cracked one of them, out pops a live chick and I feel awful.

Three of them had definitely quit, you can also see them on the photo with the chick.

9C93DD74-EA62-4FE5-A652-F0516FD1F94D.jpeg

Iā€™m super confused as to how all four of these eggs looked exactly the same when I candled them yet there was a live chick in one of them.

All the other viable eggs left in the incubator are full to the brim and very dark, I can see no yolk at all.

I feel so bad that Iā€™ve went and killed this chick but Iā€™m really confused as to how it looked the way it did yet still be alive and viable šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Iā€™ve only incubated twice now but I usually just look for movement in the egg rather than paying much attention to the air cell. Thatā€™s probably wrong but I figure the chickā€™s either alive or itā€™s not. If Iā€™m not sure, Iā€™ll leave it in a little longer. Some you can tell right away they quit but sometimes they might just be sleeping or malpostitioned or whatever. With my quail I had one where the air cell was on the small end but it still hatched. :) in your case, perhaps you have a cool spot in the incubator or the egg was younger or something and a bit behind in development???

I know itā€™s not a quail but I wanted to ask here as Iā€™m so confused!

So, today is day 17 of Silkie eggs Iā€™m incubating. Theyā€™re coming off the turner tomorrow for lockdown so I candled tonight to look for quitters as you do.

Four of them looked like my diagram Iā€™ve drawn here as I never got photos:

View attachment 2196629

Of course, this isnā€™t how a day 17 egg should look so I took them out.

Except when I cracked one of them, out pops a live chick and I feel awful.

Three of them had definitely quit, you can also see them on the photo with the chick.

Iā€™m super confused as to how all four of these eggs looked exactly the same when I candled them yet there was a live chick in one of them.

All the other viable eggs left in the incubator are full to the brim and very dark, I can see no yolk at all.

I feel so bad that Iā€™ve went and killed this chick but Iā€™m really confused as to how it looked the way it did yet still be alive and viable šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Anyone else ever had this happen?
Iā€™m so sorry... Were all the eggs from the same chicken? Were all the eggs in the same location in the incubator?

There was no movement visible when I candled the egg, I usually go off that too. It was just a dark band around the middle off the egg, clear at both sides of it.

The chick wasnā€™t underdeveloped, it was developed enough to be a day 17 chick which is whatā€™s confused me as to why it was squashed into such a small part of the egg šŸ˜•

These eggs were from posted eggs so some of the eggs will have been from the same bird but not all of them. Their air cells werenā€™t detached either.

All the eggs have been in the same incubator, temperature is running correct. Itā€™s my first time using an upright incubator though, I usually use flat ones.

Back
Top Bottom