Brown Chinese Geese with Orange Color on Bill

Martha444

Chirping
Jul 26, 2022
I have 8 brown chinese geese, approximately 6 weeks old, and about half of them are showing some orange color on part of their bill. Is this normal at this age? I bought them from FifthDayFarm through freedomrangerhatchery.com.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_144416678_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220724_144416678_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
I don’t have Chinese but I read on holdreads website that his Africans beaks typically start turning orange when they start getting into their old age. Maybe yours have a mutation that’s causing them to morph early? Or maybe they’re crosses with some sort of orange billed breed?

Hopefully someone with chinese geese comes along. I’m clueless in this.

I don’t have Chinese but I read on holdreads website that his Africans beaks typically start turning orange when they start getting into their old age. Maybe yours have a mutation that’s causing them to morph early? Or maybe they’re crosses with some sort of orange billed breed?

Hopefully someone with chinese geese comes along. I’m clueless in this.
The farm they came from also raise white muscovy which mine don't really seem to have that color or shape at all, and also white french which have an orange bill and shape that I could see as a possibility. I suppose I can always contact the farm if I can't stand my curiosity!

Chances are you Brown has some white in the background of one of its parents. Someone down the line might have breed a white Chinese to a brown I can see the white in its hip feathers also. So you probably have a purebred Chinese just wouldn't make show standards. This is something that can pop up 4-5 generations after the original breeding.

Chances are you Brown has some white in the background of one of its parents. Someone down the line might have breed a white Chinese to a brown I can see the white in its hip feathers also. So you probably have a purebred Chinese just wouldn't make show standards. This is something that can pop up 4-5 generations after the original breeding.
Thanks so much for the info! Here are some other photos of my menagerie, including a better side view of one of my orange bills. I'm going to take a closer look at everyone's hip feathers now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_143540688_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220724_143540688_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220724_143743116.jpg
    IMG_20220724_143743116.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220724_143859693_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220724_143859693_HDR.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks so much for the info! Here are some other photos of my menagerie, including a better side view of one of my orange bills. I'm going to take a closer look at everyone's hip feathers now.
The bill is more caramel than orange like a white would have.
The best way I can explain this is I raise 3 colors of Dewlap Africans (buff white and brown.
The whites in the US need allot of help to improve there quality. so this is a quote from someone I consider a expert working on improving the white Africans.
(this is what I would do take your best white male or female don’t matter and then put to a brown and the only reason I say brown is cuz most browns are better than buffs so brown to white you will get splits all brown with a little bit of white in the wing tips and possibly the chest take your best split you raise and breed it to a brown you will get split again then take that f 2 split and cross it back to your best white and they will come out 50%white 50% splits this will take about 3 years but it’s the best way to get good whites)
End of Quote.
I have 2 fantastic Brown boys who I got from a top breeder and one of my white girls shows promise so next year they will be paired for breeding season.. So I will have babies that look just like yours I doubt I will have little problems finding them homes since so many folks want whites.
Hope I didn't go to far and loose you. But that is 1 precious baby.

A very late update to this thread: The folks we bought the goslings from contacted the fellow who they originally got their stock from and when asked about the color on the bills he said, "They just do that.".

I think I'm just gonna have to settle for that answer, it's probably the best I'm gonna get!

A very late update to this thread: The folks we bought the goslings from contacted the fellow who they originally got their stock from and when asked about the color on the bills he said, "They just do that.".

I think I'm just gonna have to settle for that answer, it's probably the best I'm gonna get!
It's true... I think
They just do that

Back
Top Bottom