Calling all Marans experts!

Why did you change your mind? Just curious!
Okay, so we have hawks that will hunt our bird feeder! Yeah, I hate it :( But, I was reading that having black chickens will help deter hawks (maybe because they’ll think they are crows ) I gave my mom all the marans that I had as part of a deal I made with her. Well, when we had suspicions that this one was a roo she said I could keep him. At first my fiance didn’t want a rooster, but because of the hawks I was dead set having one . So now I’m betting on this little dude. Marans also make pretty roosters, so that’s a bonus :)

Okay, so we have hawks that will hunt our bird feeder! Yeah, I hate it :( But, I was reading that having black chickens will help deter hawks (maybe because they’ll think they are crows ) I gave my mom all the marans that I had as part of a deal I made with her. Well, when we had suspicions that this one was a roo she said I could keep him. At first my fiance didn’t want a rooster, but because of the hawks I was dead set having one . So now I’m betting on this little dude. Marans also make pretty roosters, so that’s a bonus :)
If he doesn’t end up being a roo then I’m not sure we’ll get one at all. I’m a little weird about mixing grown birds from random places, and I don’t have the room to add anymore so I don’t want a single roo chick in a brooder on its own.

Do you think he’s a BCM?
I am not sure about that. There are a few crosses including Black Copper Marans genetics that look very close to the mentioned breed, bht I have not studied those types closely. So, unfortunately I cannot help you out there, but if he is Black Copper Marans then you will see his plumage turning very colorful soon—and, just a note, he doesn't have the desired leg color.

Black chickens are certainly the second least color of chicken that a hawk will prey on (camouflage colors like speckled coming in first for an area with undergrowth). Hawks are far too smart to actually think a chicken is a crow—that's a pure lie—however hawks know that black-colored birds tend to harass them, so they will stay away. This of course does not always remain true, as a hungry bird of prey will capture anything it can take on.

I am not sure about that. There are a few crosses including Black Copper Marans genetics that look very close to the mentioned breed, bht I have not studied those types closely. So, unfortunately I cannot help you out there, but if he is Black Copper Marans then you will see his plumage turning very colorful soon—and, just a note, he doesn't have the desired leg color.
What’s the desired leg color ?

Black chickens are certainly the second least color of chicken that a hawk will prey on (camouflage colors like speckled coming in first for an area with undergrowth). Hawks are far too smart to actually think a chicken is a crow—that's a pure lie—however hawks know that black-colored birds tend to harass them, so they will stay away. This of course does not always remain true, as a hungry bird of prey will capture anything it can take on.
That’s good to know ! Well I’ve seen videos where roosters in general will sometimes be brazen enough to fight hawks off. They won’t free range unless my lgd is out, but I’ve had good roosters and I’ve had only attack people and not predators roosters soooo

This is the pic I'm referring too. Just too blurry when I zoom in, so I took it as grey.
Screenshot_20240316-151433.png

That’s good to know ! Well I’ve seen videos where roosters in general will sometimes be brazen enough to fight hawks off. They won’t free range unless my lgd is out, but I’ve had good roosters and I’ve had only attack people and not predators roosters soooo
Some roosters will save their females, some are weak and just will run away like they can't fight. Most of them will defend their flock no matter what, though, even if it costs their life. If they had to make a choice, males would defend their favorite hens before any other females.

You want slate/grey.
What color are his legs?
The one pic I'm seeing looks grey but I'm on my phone. Hard to tell from my pov, so I just took it at grey.
The other pictures show that his legs are pink/tan. According to the Marans Club, the legs need to be light to mid-slate, showing pink between the scales.

Some roosters will save their females, some are weak and just will run away like they can't fight. Most of them will defend their flock no matter what, though, even if it costs their life. If they had to make a choice, males would defend their favorite hens before any other females.

The other pictures show that his legs are pink/tan. According to the Marans Club, the legs need to be light to mid-slate, showing pink between the scales.
His legs are grey, not yellow /tan . It may have been lighting . (His feet kind of fade out to pink, but above his feet are grey ) . He’s from Hoover’s hatchery so I’m assuming he’s either a lazily bred BCM or some random mutt they don’t advertise on their website . (Got from rural king but Hoovers is their hatchery)

Back
Top Bottom