Can I feed my new peeps dried mealworms?

katssmilin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
I have 3 RIR that I feed dried mealworms to and they go nuts over them. I have 1 week old peeps and from what I have been reading here on the forum is that you can give peeps treats. So far they have only been getting medicated chick start crumbles. They are very skittish and I have been sitting and talking to them trying to get them to come to me. I put the feed in my hand but so far only one has come close enough to peck at my fingernail. I thought maybe if I could give them some dried mealworms they might come to me instead of running and getting all nervous. Any suggestions? Thanks

I've never fed mealworms to my birds before, but I have heard that chickens love them. I have found that young chicks LOVE hard boiled eggs. They love it so much, you could lose finger tips over it!
gig.gif

You can feed your new birds dried mealworms, just be sure not to over do it. I personally, would also put a little dish of sand in their brooder as they may need it to help digest the treats.

I personally waited until they were two weeks old to give treats - but I think there are a lot of mixed views on that. I gave mine dried mealworms but they didn't react as excited as I hoped - I can't help wondering if they'd like the live ones more. Maybe I just have weird chicks.
smile.png
The neighbor's adult chickens sure liked them! Definitely need chick grit with them. Happy treating!

I personally waited until they were two weeks old to give treats - but I think there are a lot of mixed views on that. I gave mine dried mealworms but they didn't react as excited as I hoped - I can't help wondering if they'd like the live ones more. Maybe I just have weird chicks.
smile.png
The neighbor's adult chickens sure liked them! Definitely need chick grit with them. Happy treating!
A lot of times chicks don't like treats. Once they get older they will enjoy them more. I think little chicks just don't quite understand what they are yet.

Should I chop up the dried mealy worms for the 1week old chicks. I pit in a little patch of grass with roots still attached, and they loved that.
Thanks ahead for responses.:jumpy

I have week old chicks and they got their first dried mealworms tonight. I squish them up in my hand and sprinkle them around then use my finger to move the food around a bit. The movement of the food made them come to investigate and they happily ate it up. Ive found feeding mealworms makes the chicks feather faster because of the high protein. I also add chick grit for digestion.

I have 4 and 5 week old chicks that when I shake the bag come running. Treats are good for things like that.

I wait until around two weeks to give my chickies treats, too. I really have no sound reasoning behind why, I just feel their digestive systems are better equipped to process tasty treats at that time. At two weeks, the batch of chicks I got in January were a little skittish of me as well. I brought in a small bowl of plain yogurt, as well as dried meal worms. It took them a while to get brave enough to try them (so be patient!) but once they did, I could barely fend the babies off, haha. I didn't have to chop my meal worms up or anything, the chickies took them from me, and I think they enjoyed breaking them apart themselves. They make a MESS with the yogurt, but its so fun to watch them go bonkers!
smile.png

I feed mine treats and meal worms about 1 tablespoon at a time for 30 chicks...twice a day or sometimes 3....also put yogart on a piece of cardboard and lean it up against something so they don't walk on it...the meal worms they will come and eat it out of my hands....and I don't crush them as when they peck it , it breaks up and another chick will get the drops,, jeff

Back
Top Bottom