Chick born without eyes

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
A chick hatched yesterday, yolk sac very much out and chick needed 24/36 hrs to absorb it. Its skull is somewhat deformed and it does not have eyes or eye sockets. Its head looks like the bird beak masks from Midaeval England. I think this bird is part Marans or Welsummer (mothers side), and possibly part Swedish Flower or Marans (father). Will it die on its own? Can it live like this? If it survives I could possibly set up a cage for it with food and water.
(I misplaced my phone so can't post a picture right now, I will as soon as I locate it.)

A chick hatched yesterday, yolk sac very much out and chick needed 24/36 hrs to absorb it. Its skull is somewhat deformed and it does not have eyes or eye sockets. Its head looks like the bird beak masks from Midaeval England. I think this bird is part Marans or Welsummer (mothers side), and possibly part Swedish Flower or Marans (father). Will it die on its own? Can it live like this? If it survives I could possibly set up a cage for it with food and water.
(I misplaced my phone so can't post a picture right now, I will as soon as I locate it.)
If it is missing eyes and has a deformed skull, then it probably has other developmental issues and will not likely survive more than a day or two.
Sorry.😞

I went to a near by farm and they had chicks. I saw one was blind and asked if I could have it. It was eating because it could hear other chicks eating. I gave it to a broody hen and fed it on the side with sips of egg yolk. It worked out okay for a while the chick would run to me when I would call it, the mom ended up crushing it, day 6 that I had it.

Id be very interested to see photos of this baby

Thanks everyone for your responses above.
The chick was unable to turn itself over onto its stomach when I found it this morning, and he was crying. Some yolk and umbilical gunk was still exposed from his abdomen. I moved him from the brooder (a tub under a heat lamp, where he had his own little nook behind some cardboard). His feet were still in fetal position. I stuck him under the butt feathers of my one currently broody hen, and he quieted down. I suspect though she will dispatch him at some point. I will let you know.
BTW he had black coloring on his legs, so I suspect he has some Araucana or Easter Egger, in addition to the Marans (from the dark shell).

Not having steady, correct temp and humidity or disease from parent stock are the top reasons for issues like this.

Get a few thermometers to calibrate before you set eggs again.
Well, these ladies have hatched at least 100 chicks this summer, some naturally and some from the incubator, although I did introduce a few new roosters from Cackle in the past couple months. I have not seen any other deformities like this one in any of the chicks. Some came out small and weak, but not deformed.
I will add some insulation to the area where the incubator sits to prevent the temp from dropping again.

Well, these ladies have hatched at least 100 chicks this summer, some naturally and some from the incubator, although I did introduce a few new roosters from Cackle in the past couple months. I have not seen any other deformities like this one in any of the chicks. Some came out small and weak, but not deformed.
I will add some insulation to the area where the incubator sits to prevent the temp from dropping again.
Oh good then it sounds like it is probably not disease-related and it is incubation related.
Make sure you get at least one thermometer to calibrate. Get another humidity gauge to salt test before you set eggs again.
Having stable study, temperature and humidity can prevent stuff like this. Having your incubator indoors in a controlled environment is highly recommended if you have an outside currently.

Back
Top Bottom