Chick born without eyes

Oh good then it sounds like it is probably not disease-related and it is incubation related.
Make sure you get at least one thermometer to calibrate. Get another humidity gauge to salt test before you set eggs again.
Having stable study, temperature and humidity can prevent stuff like this. Having your incubator indoors in a controlled environment is highly recommended if you have an outside currently.
I suggest a meat thermometer to occasionally check accuracy. The have to be somewhat accurate according to FDA (I believe) also govee has been pretty reliable

Thanks everyone for your responses above.
The chick was unable to turn itself over onto its stomach when I found it this morning, and he was crying. Some yolk and umbilical gunk was still exposed from his abdomen. I moved him from the brooder (a tub under a heat lamp, where he had his own little nook behind some cardboard). His feet were still in fetal position. I stuck him under the butt feathers of my one currently broody hen, and he quieted down. I suspect though she will dispatch him at some point. I will let you know.
BTW he had black coloring on his legs, so I suspect he has some Araucana or Easter Egger, in addition to the Marans (from the dark shell).
Does he still have yolk sac left? If so, you should not have put him in the brooder, and most certainly not under a broody hen. Its important that any chick with yolk left, is left in the incubator, in a cup, until it is absorbed. To allow them to digest the rest of yolk, since they are premature. They aren't able to run around and eat while curled up in fetal position absorbing yolk, and they are left open to bacteria, or being pecked by other birds.

This baby is somewhat unique too, so even once the yolk is absorbed, I feel that the best chance this one has, is in a brooder hand raised. Preferably with a couple other chicks. Until we see photos of the little one and the full extent of the deformity, it would be wise to give it the benefit of the doubt, and protect it for now.

Wishing the best for you and your chick :fl

I had a chick like this without eyes. Mine's skull was okay though, yours may or may not be viable due to that.

The long term outlook for a blind chicken is living a small run or a pen, with large open feeders and waterers in a fixed position. Stability and consistency in the environment are key. He should have one or two buddies that are calm and not at all pecky/aggressive/want to lead (suggest keeping a small very mellow bantam with them). He'll need daily check ins for a few days whenever the layout of his pen or food bowls is changed in the future. They can succeed, but it's demanding, and not easy for chicken or human. I had a blind chick I raised to 6 months, then gave away for freezer camp because he kept getting eye socket infections and was a rooster. If you try it may not succeed, and if you try you may decide it's better to cull him, don't feel bad or guilty whatever you decide. Any time he got to live with you is more than he would have had, so focus on that bright side if it comes to making a tough decision.

I strongly suggest he be brooder raised for his own safety. He won't be able to see and respond to large bird movement around him and that could get him hurt in a flock or with a mother hen (he won't be able to get away when she scratches). He should have a few chick companions, he will follow their cheeps to help learn the brooder space. You'll need to help him get to food and water the first week at least.

If it is missing eyes and has a deformed skull, then it probably has other developmental issues and will not likely survive more than a day or two.
Sorry.😞
Unfortunately you were right. I think the little guy died shortly after I placed him under the broody hen. When I checked a few hours later, the hen had abandoned that nest with the chick and her eggs and moved to a different nesting box.

Id be very interested to see photos of this baby
Here are some pics of the chick. Taken with my webcam.
WIN_20221109_18_31_38_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221109_18_32_09_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221109_18_32_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221109_18_32_03_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221109_18_31_41_Pro.jpg

A chick hatched yesterday, yolk sac very much out and chick needed 24/36 hrs to absorb it. Its skull is somewhat deformed and it does not have eyes or eye sockets. Its head looks like the bird beak masks from Midaeval England. I think this bird is part Marans or Welsummer (mothers side), and possibly part Swedish Flower or Marans (father). Will it die on its own? Can it live like this? If it survives I could possibly set up a cage for it with food and water.
(I misplaced my phone so can't post a picture right now, I will as soon as I locate it.)
I would put the poor thing down.

Back
Top Bottom