Chickens drinking sewage water!!!

krzybo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Danielsville, GA
We had a problem with our septic tank :barnieand had some sewage leakage. As we were fixing the problem the chickens drank some of the water that had run off from the sewage lines. Will this harm the hens? Should we throw their eggs away for a few days? Are there any other problems this could cause that we should be on the lookout for? Thanks for any input.

As that sounds pretty gross, sorry about your misfortune, I certainly would not want to eat eggs that have my own feces injected in them. However, I wouldn't think it would harm the chickens any.

We have what is called a "gray water" system. What is means is that the water from our clothes and dish washers does not go through our septic system but just goes into a pit below the house--this preserves the septic system from being fouled with excess soap. The chickens have access to that pit and drink from it all the time--I swear they prefer it to their waterer--and have for 20 years. There has never been a problem with either the birds or our health from this. Actually, if the septic tank is working properly the outflow should be relative safe as well.

If you follow good septic principals, and aren't flushing bleach, cleaning fluids, etc., into it, at least they shouldn't be getting anything toxic, in the way of chemicals. I would think that they may ingest a few new micro-organisms, that their gut is not familiar with, which might affect them. Any odd droppings the last few days?

Be like us going to Mexico..
smile.png

Our chickens are doing the same thing. Our septic needs fixed badly and we are in the process but its expensive. My question is are the eggs ok to eat? Our septic is overflowing threw the caps.

We have what is called a "gray water" system. What is means is that the water from our clothes and dish washers does not go through our septic system but just goes into a pit below the house--this preserves the septic system from being fouled with excess soap. The chickens have access to that pit and drink from it all the time--I swear they prefer it to their waterer--and have for 20 years. There has never been a problem with either the birds or our health from this. Actually, if the septic tank is working properly the outflow should be relative safe as well.
Awesome thank you!! So I can eat the eggs with no worries right?! 😊

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what nasty critters are living in your septic tank liquid. Thinking about Salmonella, etc, which can end up in eggs from infected birds who may look healthy.
Some 'recycling' is fine, some not so much.
Would it matter to have that black water tested?
I ssure wouldn't eat any uncooked, or send any to anyone else!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom