Cocci or shed intestinal lining?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Have 8 chicks about 6 weeks old outside in a small coop/run. Hatched 6 of the 8 myself. They were fed medicated for the first 5 weeks, and after 2 weeks they were put outside in a small fenced area to begin outside exposure. After 4.5 weeks, we moved them outside full time. The last couple days, I noticed a few poops that got me concerned. First one was yesterday, this morning there were two more. Looking at the poop page, I'm having a hard time deciphering between cocci poop and shed intestinal lining.

I had to remove them off medicated after a week in the little coop, as I was letting them out to free range and the big birds had access to their food. Also of note, the little ones had access to the final bit of layer feed I had in the big coop. We've since switched full time to grower with free choice oyster shell.

So, as gross as I know it is, I'd like to post a few poop pics and see what you think....sorry that the pics aren't the greatest...my camera stinks...

91792_102_8970.jpg

91792_102_8980.jpg

91792_102_8972.jpg

Hello,
Since that is not blood, and the regular part of the droppings aren't discolored then I would say that it probably isn't coccidiosis. It seems to be an aweful lot of intestinal lining. I would keep my eye on it if I were you and let us now if anything else is going on with your chickens. But for now I would say your chooks are just fine.
-Roxy
-Edited for typo

Last edited:
Have 8 chicks about 6 weeks old outside in a small coop/run. Hatched 6 of the 8 myself. They were fed medicated for the first 5 weeks, and after 2 weeks they were put outside in a small fenced area to begin outside exposure. After 4.5 weeks, we moved them outside full time. The last couple days, I noticed a few poops that got me concerned. First one was yesterday, this morning there were two more. Looking at the poop page, I'm having a hard time deciphering between cocci poop and shed intestinal lining.

I had to remove them off medicated after a week in the little coop, as I was letting them out to free range and the big birds had access to their food. Also of note, the little ones had access to the final bit of layer feed I had in the big coop. We've since switched full time to grower with free choice oyster shell.

So, as gross as I know it is, I'd like to post a few poop pics and see what you think....sorry that the pics aren't the greatest...my camera stinks...

91792_102_8970.jpg

91792_102_8980.jpg

91792_102_8972.jpg

So did u treat your chicks or it gone on it's own ? My one rooster had the same few days back I treated him

Back
Top Bottom