cochin-roo or hen??? Please?

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Here are my two cochins that I question their gender. I have two others who are obviously hens but these two??? They are 18 1/2 weeks old and never crowed
|I know the white one is a hen
DSC01840.jpg

another one I question?
DSC01880.jpg

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

DSC01879.jpg
I appreciate any input as this black and this blue cochin have me puzzled.

i could tell my bantam cochin roo was a roo from about 4 weeks. he crowed around 7. the white one is deffenately NOT a roo. i would think that the other one would've crowed by now if he was a roo - but that really depends on whether or not you have any other roosters.

rosy, I have two roosters, one barred rock the same age and an older lt. brahma who rules the roost so to speak. Only the barred rock and the lt brahma crow. Now the blue and the black are very timid to leave the coop in the mornings as the lt. brahma is out there dancing around all the hens, so you think they are just too scared to crow????
lol.png
I also have a partrige but it is like the white one as far as the comb and wattles. (sp)

Hi Ozark Hen
I was so excited to see your photos. I have 4 cochins babies (3 weeks old) and am so anxious to see them grow. I'm hoping they are all hens but who knows!!!

Your photos were great and I can now see what my blue and black ones are going to look like. I also think I have a buff and a silver tip.

Anyway thanks for sharing the photos.

Jacie

you are welcome Jacie, when mine were small they were always bending down looking at the feathers on their feet, it was so funny. They turned out to be gorgeous birds. Good luck. If you go to my personal page here you can see them looking at their feet when they were babies.
I went to your site yesterday, absolutely gorgeous art work on those eggs!!

Last edited:
thank you for the compliment on my egg art. It's my therapy!!
The pictures on your page are wonderful.
We lived in MO for 14 years (Outside Columbia) I miss our big oaks and our pond but we do love it up here in the mountains of AZ.
I do hope by babies turn out as beautiful as yours.
My Henry (in the avatar) is very handsome and such a love (loves to be held). I just tucked them all in for the night.

10 grandchildren! I have 11. They are such a joy!
Take Care
Jacie

Back
Top Bottom