difference between black australorp and black star

Ollyc2k

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
I bought black star started pullets from Macmurray hatchery and I'm not sure what I got, from what I read It sounds like I got a black australorp. Because of the green tint on it's feather, small comb, and dark legs with white skin. Can someone please verify or explain the differences.

A Black Star is just another name for a Black Sex-link. Black Sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster, and Barred Rocks hens. A BSL will have a some red in her chest when she is fully grown, if it is a hen. The Males will be barred like their mother. As chicks, a BSL hen is fully black with the males having the white dot on their head like a Barred Rock chick would.

A Black Australorp, however, will have a white chest and underside as a chick with black legs.

I hope this helps.
smile.png

Last edited:
A Black Star is just another name for a Black Sex-link. Black Sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster, and Barred Rocks hens. A BSL will have a some red in her chest when she is fully grown, if it is a hen. The Males will be barred like their mother. As chicks, a BSL hen is fully black with the males having the white dot on their head like a Barred Rock chick would.

A Black Australorp, however, will have a white chest and underside as a chick with black legs.

I hope this helps.
smile.png
Hi, I did a Google search asking if australorps were used in breeding black stars, and this post turned up. From your explanation, I may not have black stars — and I don't know else they could be. So here's a photo and maybe you can identify the breed. I made it large so you can click on it for a closeup look. Her legs are dark, nearly black. What do you think?

Hi, I did a Google search asking if australorps were used in breeding black stars, and this post turned up. From your explanation, I may not have black stars — and I don't know else they could be. So here's a photo and maybe you can identify the breed. I made it large so you can click on it for a closeup look. Her legs are dark, nearly black. What do you think?

She does look to be a black sex link/black star.

So, the original post is over 10 years old, original chicken may not even be around any more.. this is more for black bird lovers like me. These are my pics of my 1 yo Australorpe Roo, acquired from a local farm, and my Black Star hen ~6mo from TSC. I don’t know if it answers any questions about the difference between black stars and Australorpe—I just think they make an incredibly handsome pair. :love
I wound up here on a search for what a Australorpe/black Star cross might turn out. Guess I’ll just have to incubate to find out. :D
BTW, since I can only have one Roo, and my roo is Australorpe, I’m going to start hatching—I wave white Leghorns, so of course I’ll get some Austra Whites, but I also want to create my own boutique Australorpe blends: Sussalorpe, Easterlorpe (1 successfully hatched already!), Black and Red Austeroids (Black Star and Golden Comet/Lorpe crosses). And I don’t have one yet, but I need to get an Orp so I can make an Orpalorpe. 🥰

Attachments

• 9ED53170-4075-4E5B-8C24-FB5151B134EF.jpeg
    9ED53170-4075-4E5B-8C24-FB5151B134EF.jpeg
    768.3 KB · Views: 20
  • AED13BFA-B6B8-4B77-A776-9F0BCD8643B9.jpeg
    AED13BFA-B6B8-4B77-A776-9F0BCD8643B9.jpeg
    679.1 KB · Views: 19
  • E8834544-A4C2-4446-8773-5B37AFA5189C.jpeg
    E8834544-A4C2-4446-8773-5B37AFA5189C.jpeg
    642.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DD59C5F6-3018-492B-A1CC-03A5404336BD.jpeg
    DD59C5F6-3018-492B-A1CC-03A5404336BD.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 22
So, the original post is over 10 years old, original chicken may not even be around any more.. this is more for black bird lovers like me. These are my pics of my 1 yo Australorpe Roo, acquired from a local farm, and my Black Star hen ~6mo from TSC. I don’t know if it answers any questions about the difference between black stars and Australorpe—I just think they make an incredibly handsome pair. :love
I wound up here on a search for what a Australorpe/black Star cross might turn out. Guess I’ll just have to incubate to find out. :D
BTW, since I can only have one Roo, and my roo is Australorpe, I’m going to start hatching—I wave white Leghorns, so of course I’ll get some Austra Whites, but I also want to create my own boutique Australorpe blends: Sussalorpe, Easterlorpe (1 successfully hatched already!), Black and Red Austeroids (Black Star and Golden Comet/Lorpe crosses). And I don’t have one yet, but I need to get an Orp so I can make an Orpalorpe. 🥰
That rooster isn't an Australorp. Wrong comb type, and also Australorps should be pure black. He looks like a barnyard mix to me.

That rooster isn't an Australorp. Wrong comb type, and also Australorps should be pure black. He looks like a barnyard mix to me.
His brother (had to sell as a cockerel, because only one Roo) had the right comb type. Any chance it could pop up recessive?

Edited to add: even if he’s not pure Australorp, I think he’s magnificent, and possibly mostly genetically australorp. Mind you, I won’t be claiming to show any registration papers, just having fun with my boutique backyard blends.

Attachments

• C28CA19B-89EF-4E87-BF40-A5C2FF3C2120.jpeg
    C28CA19B-89EF-4E87-BF40-A5C2FF3C2120.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom