Egg "white" is Pink?!?

Peringle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Ummm….this freaked me out a little. Our girl has laid approximately 1 1/2-2 dozen eggs. This is the first time this has happened, she has laid eggs after this one and they were fine. I threw away both eggs in the pan because I didn't know if it was safe to eat.

Last edited:
Weird! I've had blood spots before, but they never made it look all pink like that. I don't really know, but hopefully someone who knows what it is will reply.

I did a google search and supposedly it's some type of bacteria that cause spoilage.

Does that mean that it is inside your bird? Could antibiotics clear it up? I've never heard ofthat, thanks for sharing!

I've read of eggs that had lots of very red blood in the 'white', this could be a similar situation.

Not sure about a bacteria/spoilage......how old was the egg?
Can you post a link to where you read that?
I would be most interested to read about it.

The egg was only a few days old. As for the link I just googled pink egg whites. I looked at three or four links and the all said it was a bacteria. I have no clue if that's what it actually is or not. The bacteria is on the egg itself. Caused by tiny cracks in the shell.

The egg was only a few days old. As for the link I just googled pink egg whites. I looked at three or four links and the all said it was a bacteria. I have no clue if that's what it actually is or not. The bacteria is on the egg itself. Caused by tiny cracks in the shell.
It's Pink colour is due to uses of cotton seed meal. Discoloration of egg albumin with the feeding of cottonseed meal to hens has been thought to be due to the passage of iron from the yolk into the white, followed by a reaction with conalbumin causing a pink discoloration of the albumin. Passage of conalbumin into the yolk also appears to cause the salmon yolk color. No bacteria involves. Dr Vaibhav Patil Veterinarian in Poultry.

Ummm….this freaked me out a little. Our girl has laid approximately 1 1/2-2 dozen eggs. This is the first time this has happened, she has laid eggs after this one and they were fine. I threw away both eggs in the pan because I didn't know if it was safe to eat.

The pink color of the egg white is due to the bacteria Pseudomonas. Do not consume.

Back
Top Bottom