New chicken mom and freaked out.

Flowerladies

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2023
I have 3 Buffy’s all about 9 mo. They have all been very hearty and happy. They have laid 1 egg a day for a while now.
Yesterday one egg was bigger and I broke it when I picked it up (I’m used to the super thick shells). There were 2 yolks inside.
Today there were three eggs in the coup today as usual.
My daughter was holding one of our girls and she laid an egg without a shell on her lap. It just had a membrane.
I’m wondering if the two situations are connected? This is the first time anything has been different with their eggs.

If it was all the same hen then she laid a double, then one, then un-shelled egg all within 2 days.

What do I do? What do I keep an eye out for?

I have 3 Buffy’s all about 9 mo. They have all been very hearty and happy. They have laid 1 egg a day for a while now.
Yesterday one egg was bigger and I broke it when I picked it up (I’m used to the super thick shells). There were 2 yolks inside.
Today there were three eggs in the coup today as usual.
My daughter was holding one of our girls and she laid an egg without a shell on her lap. It just had a membrane.
I’m wondering if the two situations are connected? This is the first time anything has been different with their eggs.

If it was all the same hen then she laid a double, then one, then un-shelled egg all within 2 days.

What do I do? What do I keep an eye out for?
Which hen was it? I would give that hen calcium citrate (not calcium carbonate). If she is having shell issues calcium citrate is good, because it sounds like she is having shell issues.

I'm not sure about the double yolk, but it sometimes happens.

Which hen was it? I would give that hen calcium citrate (not calcium carbonate). If she is having shell issues calcium citrate is good, because it sounds like she is having shell issues.

I’m not sure which hen it was. I was thinking maybe she was just off balance after the big double yolk. Their eggs are still small and very hard/thick. Harder than a normal egg to crack. So I definitely didn’t think about calcium. If I give her calcium citrate, how much? Can it be any kind?

Yes. But I did notice that it hadn’t been eaten much. It wasn’t wet or anything, could it have gone bad?
No it usually doesn't go bad. Do you ever give them their own eggshells as a calcium supplement? You just have to bake it and then crush it. They love it and will eat it up like treats! Mine much prefer the dried eggshells over the oyster shells but I mix them and leave them out together.

They are eating

Manna Pro All Flock Crumbles | 16% Protein Level | Complete Feed for Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys and Gamebirds | Probiotics to Support Digestion | Crumbled Form for Easy Feeding​

and these as a treat…

Dried Black Soldier Fly Larvae for Chickens - Non-GMO Poultry Feed Supplement, 85X More Calcium​

And of course fresh spinach/ veggie/ fruits. They forage all day between their feed.

No it usually doesn't go bad. Do you ever give them their own eggshells as a calcium supplement? You just have to bake it and then crush it. They love it and will eat it up like treats! Mine much prefer the dried eggshells over the oyster shells but I mix them and leave them out together.
Only a couple of times. Should I just be giving them all their shells back?

I feel so guilty. Until yesterday all of their shells were so hard, sometimes you could drop them without breaking them.

Can I give them some sort of liquid version so they get it in quickly?

Is the calcium citrate the same as the people supplement?

Are the shell issues dangerous for them? Would all of the hens have the same problem if it was calcium?

Back
Top Bottom