Euthanasia Assistance Request

Thanks for the reply. I totally understand! Yes, there are no "proper channels" for acquiring it. We have very little money and it's just not practical to bring someone out here; I honestly don't even know if I could find someone who would travel even if I had the money.

I certainly wouldn't advocate this path for others. That's why I opened saying I understand why anyone with knowledge would not want to reply. It's a very difficult situation no matter how you slice it.
We found the safest and fastest way to be as follows:

Wait until dark and the chickens to be well asleep.
Enter the coop with a dim headlight and grab the designated chicken gently but firmly, all the while talking in a low and reassuring tone so everyone in the coop will know it is you and not a predator.

Bring her out and well away from the coop.
Hold her with one arm, her head facing front.
Then take a quick step backwards and her neck will stretch forward in a reflexive response. Immediately use an iron rod or similar with your other arm aiming the blow at the back of her head right where the comb ends.
Strike and she will be immediately uncontious, oftentimes they even will be dead after the blow.

Then proceed using a hatchet or cleaver to separate the head.
Some people prefer cutting the carotis artery and bleed them out.

I understand that this may seem very violent and bloody at first glance, but after decades we found this the best way for the bird as it is so quick that they don't even get to wake up before they are already gone.

No waiting for asphyxiation (which is a struggle as the bird does also have air sacs!) or deadly medication to take effect, no stress nor fear whatsoever as our chickens are used to be handled at dark for regular health inspections.

We use this method for loved pet birds as well as for butchering the other ones for consumption.

The non-bloody broomstick method sometimes will not kill the bird as intended and can cause much pain to the bird and trauma to the chicken handler/keeper.

Last edited:

Enter the coop with a dim headlight and grab the designated chicken gently but firmly, all the while talking in a low and reassuring tone so everyone in the coop will know it is you and not a predator.

Then take a quick step backwards and her neck will stretch forward in a reflexive response. Immediately use an iron rod or similar with your other arm aiming the blow at the back of her head right where the comb ends.
Strike and she will be immediately uncontious, oftentimes they even will be dead after the blow.

I understand that this may seem very violent and bloody at first glance, but after decades we found this the best way for the bird as it is so quick that they don't even get to wake up before they are already gone.

No waiting for asphyxiation (which is a struggle as the bird does also have air sacs!) or deadly medication to take effect, no stress nor fear whatsoever as our chickens are used to be handled at dark for regular health inspections.

We use this method for loved pet birds as well as for butchering the other ones for consumption.

The non-bloody broomstick method sometimes will not kill the bird as intended and can cause much pain to the bird and trauma to the chicken handler/keeper.
Thank you for the reply. We have studied all the different culling methods and tried several different ones over the years. Injection is the method we've settled on even though we have not yet administered it for the first time. Sodium thiopental is the gentlest method and least traumatic for both animal and administrator. That's why it's the go-to choice for vets. And us. Since I already have it on hand (which is the hard part) it's what we'll use. Hopefully not for a while yet :)

While I don't disagree with its efficacy, I would caution against this for people new to euthanasia. Such a strike requires both confidence and hand-eye coordination that may be difficult with nerves. I prefer to use something like manual CD that is much easier to coordinate without perfect timing and steadiness. Just a consideration - but it does seem effective and quick. :)

OP, so sorry for your ailing "adventure chicken." I have no knowledge on this particular means of euthanasia so I hope your vet will be of assistance. :hugs

While I don't disagree with its efficacy, I would caution against this for people new to euthanasia. Such a strike requires both confidence and hand-eye coordination that may be difficult with nerves. I prefer to use something like manual CD that is much easier to coordinate without perfect timing and steadiness. Just a consideration - but it does seem effective and quick. :)

OP, so sorry for your ailing "adventure chicken." I have no knowledge on this particular means of euthanasia so I hope your vet will be of assistance. :hugs
Thank you. She's really been the heart of our homesteading lives for many years now. I could write a book about her ❤️We knew, of course, a chicken's life is short. We just want her (and all of theirs) passing to be as smooth and quiet as possible. And to be in context of their flock. They really are keenly aware of absence. They just don't display it in the same way us mammals do :)

Back
Top Bottom