StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I found my nearly two-year-old Brahma hen, Tuffet, on the floor of the coop looking very sick this evening. We didn't notice anything abnormal with her yesterday. I separated her from the flock and brought her inside for treatment and observation.

Her symptoms are:
  • Crop overflowing with stinky brown liquid and spilling out of mouth
  • Poop is milky white
  • Tail is down
  • Not moving much/lethargic
  • Wheezing/gurgling
  • Comb is turning purplish

I made her vomit to empty her crop (it was so full I thought I might as well take the risk) and she perked up very slightly afterwards (walked around a little bit and moved her head more).

According to THIS ARTICLE: "Generally when a bird is near death, the Intestinal Tract has shut down and liquid is filling these cavities. The Crop will become so full it is pouring out of the beak. These types of birds are sometimes easily diagnosed as they are sitting in the corner of the coop, eyes close and barely conscious, very dark red or cherry colored comb and not responsive. In this case, the best thing you can do is move the bird to a warm soft place, heat lamp if needed and make the bird as comfortable as possible so it can gently pass away or humanly put her down."

From this it sounds to me like she might have a major internal organ/reproductive problem and she is done for. BUT she doesn't have water belly (yet).

The same article states: "Sour Crops can be caused by many things not only from the list of possibilities that I listed above, but also from simple things as feed changes, some new food that gave the bird indigestion, feed that has gone bad, moldy or buggy, and sometimes certain birds just cannot digest certain feeds."

I did very recently switch to a new feed I've never tried before AND it is certainly possible she got into something moldy.

So...do you think it's worth treating her (miconazole and antibiotics) or is it time to let her go?

Thank you.

Yes. I'd treat her for Sour Crop. You never know she may pull right on through.

Wheezing and gurgling can be from the crop being so full of liquid.

The article is very good and she tries to cover all bases. It's worth trying to treat unless the hen become unresponsive.
Often there is an underlying condition that causes the crop to slow, but if there's been a change in feed, that could have caused a problem.

Do what you can, I'd give it a go and see what happens.

Yes. I'd treat her for Sour Crop. You never know she may pull right on through.

Wheezing and gurgling can be from the crop being so full of liquid.

The article is very good and she tries to cover all bases. It's worth trying to treat unless the hen become unresponsive.
Often there is an underlying condition that causes the crop to slow, but if there's been a change in feed, that could have caused a problem.

Do what you can, I'd give it a go and see what happens.
Okay, thanks! I'll see how she looks in the morning and if she's still responsive I'll go get the miconazole while I'm in town.

She's looking much better today. Yesterday she looked like she was dying but today her tail is up, she's talking more, walking around, and roosting. I withheld food overnight and most of today then gave her some food (different brand) this afternoon and she ate it. She got her first dose of miconazole today.

Wondering if I should hold off on the antibiotics for now. Her poop still looks kind of like cooked egg white with chunks of green in it (presumably from not eating much). Her comb is still dark too. Not sure what that means.

How is she doing?
She looks pretty much the same as she did yesterday. She is slow but still moving around a little and fights me when I give her the miconazole. I noticed she is looking down a lot. I'll try to see if she's interested in some cooked egg and yogurt tomorrow.

Looking down a lot, that's a new one on me. Interesting observation. Is it like she's adjusting her crop or is she having to "watch" her steps or?

Cooked egg and yogurt sounds good. I let them eat what they wish when having issues. Usually avoid scratch/grains if the crop is not up to par, but egg, soft fruits or even tomato seems to be a big hit.

Looking down a lot, that's a new one on me. Interesting observation. Is it like she's adjusting her crop or is she having to "watch" her steps or?
I'm not really sure. She's not adjusting her crop. It's like she doesn't want to lift her head. She doesn't really look at me when I walk into the room.

I'm not really sure. She's not adjusting her crop. It's like she doesn't want to lift her head. She doesn't really look at me when I walk into the room.
Wonder if the crop is just that uncomfortable.

Any chance she's suffered some type of neck or head trauma, got her head hung in a fence or been pecked?

I'd see if she continues with the behavior, it may be worth taking note. Not sure what it means though.

Back
Top Bottom