Hen won't eat, no other signs of illness?

Norwegian Chicken

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2017
Hei all,

I realise this is probably topic #128391 regarding a weird illness. But, I have been reading a lot of information (including this forum and others) on chicken illnesses but cannot figure out what is going on. This forum seems to be full of knowledge I don't have, hence I am posting this here.

First, to set the stage, I am relatively new to chicken keeping. This is my first illness to deal with. We have 9 chickens and 3 ducks (now moulting but otherwise fine). They have an inside coop, a ~5x8m fenced outside area half of which is roofed, but prefer to free roam the entire day in the yard. I feed them layer pallets, free choice shell sand, and regularly a treat such as sweet corn, raisins, sunflower seeds. They show no interest in green stuff as they have plenty of grass and worms in the yard. Winter is coming and we had some frosts lately, but nothing crazy, especially not for Norwegian standards.

I have two "mixed" white/brown hens (probably something Italian in there) who are doing fine and laying well. The problem is with one of my other hens, Jærhøns - a Norwegian breed. They are smallish birds that are really well adapted to free range lifestyles. They fly well, for instance. They are younger, around 16 weeks and not laying yet; combs are not fully grown yet. Most prefer to roost outside, the hen in question is one that sleeps indoors though.

The bird in question:
- Caught my attention two days ago as she was not joining the others running around
- Seemed "tired", closing her eyes while standing still, head slowly moving downwards like she was dozing off, still running when chased (Jærhøns are skittish), acted surprised when I closed in on her while eyes closed
- Tail was all the way down (otherwise very erect in this breed), held her wings low, almost dragging the tips on the ground, fluffing up feathers and sitting still
- When caught suddenly felt very skinny (even for a light breed)
- All in all, I just felt she was not doing well

I then decided to put her in a separate cage in the horse stable with a heating lamp, straw, food (pallets) and water. Since then I found out:
- She feels very skinny, sharp chest bone!
- She does not eat, ONLY eats when I put her on my lap and feed a mix of pallets, water, some honey and/or yoghurt. Pecks at sweet corn but does not manage swallow them.
- I suspect she drinks, but I let her drink from a small pipette to be sure, she likes that
- Made her scrambled egg, she did eat some but did not seem overly excited about it
- After feeding her, she gapes a couple of times but after dinner only! This is weird to me, I have never seen them do that
- Eyes are clear, nose looks fine, comb looks fine too, no sneezing
- I hear no strange breathing/snorring sounds
- Cannot feel an egg inside her (she is too young for that, I'm quite sure)
- Vent looks perfectly clean, feathers around there are clean and fluffy
- Poops look fine to me
- Does not have any injury, except one broken and black toe nail which almost falls of, feet otherwise fine/no limping observed
- I do not see any mites or other parasites on her, but help how to look for that is welcome
- No significant loss of feathers and she seems to keep them tidy
- I don't think I feel anything weird in her crop, if anything it feels empty. Not experienced in this though..

Over the last 36 hours I feel like she has gained some strength but I worry greatly about her lack of appetite. I would prefer to find out what is wrong myself in stead of going to a vet. I love her, but a vet would be very expensive here (I expect around 250 dollars) and that's just too much for a hen that is not yet laying. Some basic tests I can probably manage. Besides, I do not know a vet that does poultry.

That being said, I hope you have some advice for me. Any things I should have checked? Anything I can feed her to make her gain strength faster?

Thanks for your help in advance and greetings from Norway :)

IMG_2321.PNG
Poor girl! I had a hen with this same condition in April. Sadly, I did not administer medications to her fast enough and she passed away within a few days of me catching this. I asked here on BYC, and it sounds like from the symptoms, both our hens have/had worms (capillary I'm guessing)... Try dosing all of your birds with SafeGuard Goat suspension liquid in the white bottle. I'm not sure if you have this in Norway, but hopefully you do! Put 3cc/mL in a gallon of water for two days. This should be your birds' only source of water for the two days. I will attach a picture for you to go by. Hope this helps!!!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I thought gape worm would also cause strange sounds while breathing - but maybe not all symptoms are present in all cases?

Getting hold of a dewormer is not as straight forward here, everything has to be prescribed by a vet. I could order with familiy in Holland (where I am from originally) but the mail might take too long. I actually support this policy as unnecessary use of medicines only causes resistance, but now it's annoying haha ;)

I will try to make some phone calls tomorrow morning!

Try some vitamins. If you cannot find poultry vitamins, then crush 1/2 of a human vitamin B complex tablet in a treat, such as egg, wet feed, or plain yogurt. She could have coccidiosis, an intestinal parasite which is treated with amprollium or sulfa antibiotics. Toltrazuril is another treatment. Chickens with coccidiosis are usually sleepy, hunched or puffed up, have a poor appetite, weak, and have runny droppings, sometimes with blood. Second, think about a wormer. In stores that deal in livestock, one may find fenbendazole, levamisole or others that treat goats, sheep, and cattle. More rarely some young pullets may suffer from reproductive disorders such as internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. Treatment is usually not effective, or and the condition is never cured.

Thanks again for getting back to me :)

8 a.m. this morning I switched the lights on and she immediately showed interest in the dry pellets I gave her yesterday! Not sure how much she took in, but a good sign none the less.

I grabbed her (quite a fight and lots of upset noises -> also a good sign) and fed her pellet/honey/olive oil/water porridge with some vitamins (human multi-vitamin). She ate more eagerly than yesterday!

I think she is out of immediate danger now, but I will get hold of a vet today to get some dewormer and vitamins. Good to have in case of emergency anyway.

About coccidiosis: I cannot rule that out, but as her poops look perfect I don't see it as the main culprit. May have her tested anyway.

Any advice on her nail? It's black and only partially attached to the toe. Seems to hurt when I touch it. Toe is nice and yellow otherwise. Clip it or leave it?

To end, here's a pic of her this morning.

Attachments

• 20171025_084647.jpg
    20171025_084647.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 19
I know, looks huge right? Funny thing is I do not feel anything when I touch it - except feathers, skin and bones. No "water balloons" or hard substance.

Her appetite has improved yet again today. I still really want to figure out what made her so low on energy though. I found one local vet that -theoretically- does chickens (they are considered to be "large animals" ie. not hamsters and bunnies). Hope to visit them tomorrow. Thanks for your help and I will keep you guys posted on the progress :)

I know, looks huge right? Funny thing is I do not feel anything when I touch it - except feathers, skin and bones. No "water balloons" or hard substance.

Her appetite has improved yet again today. I still really want to figure out what made her so low on energy though. I found one local vet that -theoretically- does chickens (they are considered to be "large animals" ie. not hamsters and bunnies). Hope to visit them tomorrow. Thanks for your help and I will keep you guys posted on the progress :)

Interested to hear what He/She says.

Update 28/10

The hen is getting stronger fast. She no longer allows me to take her on my lap and feed her. Normal behaviour for Jærhøns, so good news. A "thank you" would be nice though :p

Until further notice from the vet, I only have one explanation remaining: intoxication by a plant in the yard. We have plenty of toxic plants around (Lupinus, Azalea, etc) and a yew tree is the favourite midday hang-out for the chickens. I have never seen any attempt to eat these plants though. I am a firm believer that they know what they can and cannot eat, or quickly find out.

However, I found a Chrysanthemum completely trashed. I have not seen it happen, but I think the chickens did this. This happened in at the same time or slightly before I found her ill. I know pyrethrins in plants of this family are used as insecticides. Would you guys consider this a likely cause of her symptoms?

Update

The chicken that was ill has recovered completely. She was the first to start laying, and is now the only Jærhøns to eat from my hand.
She was diagnosed with intestinal worms by the vet and all animals have received treatment.

Unfortunately one girl went m.i.a. when the first snow came. We suspect hawk attack. Now everybody is staying in the run and coop, it's cold now and snowy anyway.

Again, thanks for your help and advice. I am very grateful that Ingeborg (we named her that) has recovered :)

Back
Top Bottom