How to keep ducks out of the chicken coop?

CHICKEN BUFF

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
I have a chicken coop that's 4 feet off the ground. The ducks have their own house. But I have one very persistent duck that keeps getting into the coop and smashing and eating eggs. I've clipped their wings, and changed the solid ramp to a sloping ladder affair with spaces between the rungs. So far, nothing's working.

The chickens and ducks get along fine otherwise.

Is there something chickens can climb that ducks can't? The chickens ALSO have their wings clipped. I don't want to get rid of the problem duck if I don't have to --- she's my best layer.

chicken coop.jpg

Maybe something like this? I feel like ducky feet would struggle without something on the side, so like an inverted ladder I guess? Maybe with wide rungs that the chickens can “hop” to but to far for duck legs to step.

Attachments

• 0212B4EE-40C2-4B1A-AE6E-12182739863B.jpeg
    0212B4EE-40C2-4B1A-AE6E-12182739863B.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
Can the chickens get in without a ramp? I would take away the ramp totally. Even though chickens have their wings clipped they are still good jumpers. That being said I have a duck that insists in getting in my chicken house and she always finds a way! A determined duck can jump a few feet up. Mine just go in there to lay so it isn’t a problem.

Back
Top Bottom