Lame Legs and under-developed feathers

TaraChick

Hatching
May 1, 2024
Hello, I've been a poultry raiser (chickens, ducks & geese) for many decades now and never had any health issues with our birds. But my husband & I tried to save money this year and started feeding our new ducklings & goslings home made soaked & sprouted feed (oats, wheat, corn, buckwheat) adding appropraly sized/cut fresh greens, peas for niacin, dug up worms, organic eggs, kelp flakes, etc. We realize we're not as exact as commercial feed - but tried to mimick the required nutrients as best as possible especially niacin & protein amounts. They were all very healthy the first two weeks, but they very sadly started limping the third week and have 2 that can'not even stand. Some also have under-developed feathers on their neck and backs. We monitor them very closely and do not observe any pecking order pecking of feathers. After much crying and feeling guilty- I dusted myself off and hubby & I are doing our best to try and bring them back to health. We started them on a human grade niacin supplement (50 grams per day) a few days ago, which has helped a little and just went back to feeding them commercial feed as their prominent diet (still with greens/fresh foods added) - but really appreciate Backyard Chickens community of helpers for further advice and testimonies !!!

The limping may be from mareks. How old are they. The feathers not growing would make me think they aren't getting enough protein. I personally would not feed worms as they can give chickens roundworms. Daily protein requirements are 16-18% protein and most of what you are feeding is low in protein.

Geese can survive on good grass. Chickens and ducks need more protein in their diet.

Back
Top Bottom