Lavender Orpington and cross breeding??

Hey there, I don't plan on selling them. I just have 16 hens total and now our Rooster we got as a gift 2 days ago. But now I'm already having issues with the rooster. I walked in the pen which is quite large and he stared me down and followed me around and rushed at me. What do you do about this behavior? Any tips?

Hey there, I don't plan on selling them. I just have 16 hens total and now our Rooster we got as a gift 2 days ago. But now I'm already having issues with the rooster. I walked in the pen which is quite large and he stared me down and followed me around and rushed at me. What do you do about this behavior? Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 70
READ THIS^^
Then read this:

If he rushes at you again or follows you around, grab him and firmly hold him to the ground until he stops struggling. Then, if he does it again, chase him until he stops. Whenever you go into your chicken coop, don't walk around him, walk straight at him and he should move.

I have a beautiful Lavender Orpington rooster named Mr. Grey. I would like to cross him with some of my hens I currently have? I understand about the recessive gene in the Lavender color and how black will end up showing through on a First Gen chick. I am curious which breed if hen, if any would be a good match for a first generation and then then the first generation could make a 2nd gen with Mr. Grey and I could possibly see some Lavender show through?

I have Speckled Sussex, Salmon Favorelle, Dominique, Delaware, Easter Egger and Olive Egger (predominantly Black and Tan), and Buff Orp (which I know is a bad match).

Any advice would help, thanks!!
Personally, I would probably cross him with the faverolle or speckled sussex, just because I think it might make the most interesting chicks. But, I'm not sure of the genetics of these crosses, so I really don't know how they would turn out.

Back
Top Bottom