Layer feed not for roosters!?! What should I feed?

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
So, I've come to the realization that it's not good for roosters to be eating layer feed. We feed our flocks with roosters the same feed which is layer feed. However, I read it's not good for the roosters and may cause organ problems or failure. What do you feed your mixed flocks without having to do separate feeds if at all? Thanks!

I use 20% Purina Flock Raiser, with crushed oyster shells on the side. The Flock Raiser is the same price as the layer feed, of the same brand, at my local TSC. But you need the oyster shells for calcium on the side. I buy the 50lb bags of oyster shells. They're the best bang for the buck. Roosters need the extra protein. The 16% is just a minimum for laying hens, the extra protein won't hurt them.

So, I've come to the realization that it's not good for roosters to be eating layer feed. We feed our flocks with roosters the same feed which is layer feed. However, I read it's not good for the roosters and may cause organ problems or failure. What do you feed your mixed flocks without having to do separate feeds if at all? Thanks!
I believe roosters eating layer feed, with it's extra calcium, is probably more of a problem for young rooster chicks. Not so much a problem for mature roosters. My mature roosters eat the layer feed I put out for the hens. The mature roosters also will eat the crushed egg shells I put out for the hens free choice, even though I tell them not to.

I believe roosters eating layer feed, with it's extra calcium, is probably more of a problem for young rooster chicks. Not so much a problem for mature roosters. My mature roosters eat the layer feed I put out for the hens. The mature roosters also will eat the crushed egg shells I put out for the hens free choice, even though I tell them not to.
Actually, too much Calcium is a problem for ALL non-laying birds.
A non-laying bird has no way to use up or extract high amounts of calcium, this includes chicks, pullets, cockerels, roosters and hens not laying due to season, age, improper diet illness etc.

Non medicated chick starter, grower feeds, turkey and gamebird feeds- finisher is 18-20% protein, broiler feeds, and of course anything that calls itself all flock feed.

The difference between these feeds and layer feed is calcium is 2% less. So pick whatever is economical, readily available, fresh (manufacture date), and what protein you want to supply.

Back
Top Bottom