Muscovy Duck Pecking and Chasing Smallest Duckling

Eden Star

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2022
My female Muscovy is a first time mum and hatched out 15 ducklings over a week ago. Yesterday when I went to feed them one duckling was missing. My children found it hiding well away from its mum and siblings. When we took it back the mother started pecking it and chasing it away. It took refuge next to my son who stopped the mum from attacking it. We brought it inside and tried to reintroduce it several hours later but the duck reacted the same way, honing in on the duckling and acting aggressively towards it and it ran away. We kept it inside over night and my kids have been giving it lots of tlc. I considered placing the duckling back under her during the night but didn’t want to risk her hurting it when she noticed it the next morning. She reacted the same way today when I took it back outside for some supervised foraging. I’ve had numerous Muscovy ducks over the years but have never witnessed this behaviour, any ideas on what’s causing it?

My female Muscovy is a first time mum and hatched out 15 ducklings over a week ago. Yesterday when I went to feed them one duckling was missing. My children found it hiding well away from its mum and siblings. When we took it back the mother started pecking it and chasing it away. It took refuge next to my son who stopped the mum from attacking it. We brought it inside and tried to reintroduce it several hours later but the duck reacted the same way, honing in on the duckling and acting aggressively towards it and it ran away. We kept it inside over night and my kids have been giving it lots of tlc. I considered placing the duckling back under her during the night but didn’t want to risk her hurting it when she noticed it the next morning. She reacted the same way today when I took it back outside for some supervised foraging. I’ve had numerous Muscovy ducks over the years but have never witnessed this behaviour, any ideas on what’s causing it?
Do you have a brooder? I agree with @Isadora , and would personally try hand raising it rather than risk her harming it.

It's really hard to know exactly what is going on in these mamas minds but I have a Muscovy female that attacked her ducklings when they were hatching. I was able to save 1 the first time it happened and 2 the next she'll never be able to brood again. I don't know what her problem is because all my other Muscovy mamas are great moms. I agree with raising this duckling inside and taking it out on nice days so it can still be around all the other birds[it will be accepted better] but always supervise when it's outside.

Back
Top Bottom