Mystery Roosters... can you help? (UPDATED WITH MORE PICTURES)

chickenmama22

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Hi, My friend called me to say that they have 5 roosters too many. She doesn't know what they are, but sent me photos. All of them came from McMurrays as part of a Special Bargain Assortment.

I will guess that this one is a "Buttercup" since she says that the comb is crownlike:
buttercup1.JPG

This next one looks like an Andalusian to me. She said it's gray with black shiny neck and red comb.
andalusian1.JPG

Finally, here's one that looks like a New Hampshire Red.
nhred1.JPG

I've never seen these breeds in person, so I'm just guessing from the research I've done. Hopefully someone here can help. I may be visiting them tomorrow and will check out the other 2 roosters. All I know now is that one is white with feathers on his feet and the other is black.

Thanks!
Nancy

Last edited:
Quote:
OEGB, you're saying the last one is a Wyandotte because of the outline of the individual feathers? I'm hoping to get a better picture of him later on today.

I searched andalusian eggs on that popular auction site (are we allowed to mention ebay here?) and what I found looks a lot like the first picture.

Now I'm wondering why I would keep generic mottled white roosters around here when I could have some beautiful ones instead! We have a bunch of white roosters that came with our layers from Moyer's. They're only 10 weeks old, but boring. Will they get prettier and/or change significantly as they mature? Right now they are white with an occasional brown feather.

Thanks for the help! I hope to add more pictures tonight.
Nancy

OEGB, you're saying the last one is a Wyandotte because of the outline of the individual feathers? I'm hoping to get a better picture of him later on today.

Nope. Im calling its a Wyandotte cause it is one,lol. Its a Gold Laced Wyandotte. They come in many colors, Gold Laced being one. He's got a Rose Comb and that lacing, GLW to me.
tongue.png

Ok, I'm updating this post with some more pictures of my friend's roosters and chickens.

Roosters first... here's the one that looks like a Buttercup. Are there any other roosters with the circular comb?

angbirds2.JPG

Here's a closeup of the comb -
angbirds43.JPG

Next we have the one that looks like a Blue Andalusian. Is this what "Blue" looks like or is it really "Black"?

angbirds3.JPG

Here's a mystery black rooster:
angbirds30.JPG

angbirds36.JPG

Here's the mystery white rooster with fuzzy feet:
angbirds40.JPG

This is the last rooster that OEGB says is a Golden Laced Wyandotte:
angbirds4.JPG

I'm going to look through the hen pictures now and post those in a few minutes.

Thanks for the help! Nancy

Ok, here are the 4 mystery hens. Can you help with identification?

Here's #1:
angbirds25.JPG

angbirds26.JPG

#2...
angbirds16.JPG

#3... My friend has another one like the one below, but with brown/gray mixed in with the white.
angbirds17.JPG

and the tail end with curly feathers:
angbirds18.JPG

#4... I love this one
angbirds13.JPG

and a closeup of the feet
angbirds14.JPG

Any guesses?

Back
Top Bottom