Night time water required for Ducks?

AKCub

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
I have 4 ducks here in Anchorage and I'm wondering if they need water overnight? I don't leave food for them in their coop (I feed them in the morning and late afternoon) and they have water available all day long.

Even with my super wiz-bang duck water bowl I still end up with a bunch of wet bedding every morning. Now that winter is here it seems like it will be much easier to keep their coop dry if I only give them water outside of the coop.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether having water available overnight is a nice-ety or a necessity? I't not worth hurting them but it would be nice if they didn't need it...

Thanks,

Scott

I did just post on your thread wackwack- but will say the same here- they dont always " need " it. Over the summer months it may be necessary- but also something to remember is that over winter they are generally locked up for longer hours then in summer. I know that I often wake in the night and get up to go have a glass of water- - I want my ducks to be able to do the same- and just accept the mess as part of the responsibility of ducks ownership. Many people dont provide water overnight- and there ducks are fine, its really a personal decision that needs to be based on the type of housing provided and the resources you may have.

I did a ton of research before getting my Welsh Harlequins. I read that they are fine at night with no water as long as they do not have access to food. Mine were making a huge mess of their box at night also so I removed both the food and water last thing before I went to bed then I always made sure to get out first thing in the morning and give them both and they did just fine. From about 3-4 weeks on, mine went 8-9 hours at night without either and they are happy, healthy, thriving, 4-month-olds now.

what do u use as a container for their water and what kind of ducks do u have? I have call ducks so granted , they are small. But I have several SMALL (deep enuff for their bills) tupperware type bowls sitting all over... and food by a couple of them... they hardly ever make a mess...!! Maybe cuz they have access to a pond at all times??? hmmmm I dont know , but they seem to be very neat eater/drinkers... and I agree with duckyfromoz , some nites I HAVE to have a drink for some reason or other...although it wouldnt KILL me , but my duckies tend to be a bit spoiled..
smile.png

43749_im002188.jpg

43749_im002202.jpg

43749_2011-01-26_17-20-38_53.jpg

I stopped giving mine water at night last winter. They have the run of the yard during the day and I close them up in a garage at night.

They get fresh water every morning and again at mid day as well as having their pools.

Their barn is cleaner and smells better and they have survived quite nicely.

I leave water with my ducks at night. They drink a lot of water and during the day I leave bowls of water all over the place so that wherever they go, there is water for them. They drink a lot more than chickens and two of my drakes nest with the chickens so I make sure there is a deep enough bowl for them to get heaps of water. I found that a lightweight container wasnt strong enough as they will knock it over so I use a bucket in their nesting box or you could put a heavy rock at the bottom of their bowls so they dont knock it over.

It's been a few years since I have given mine water at night, my oldest is 8 and he is still with us.
smile.png
They are just too messy, i even had to remove the waterers out of the chicken side of the coop because the ducks would go in and slop the water all over the bedding. I think even in Raising Ducks Dave H talks about it being okay for ducks not to have water at night.
idunno.gif
food and water outside during daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom