Night time water required for Ducks?

I asked like the ventilation in the duck house. I live in Wisconsin so it gets cold
I was talking about the duck house having hardware cloth on it. Even in cold climates, ducks need ventilation because they expel so much moisture. If that moisture has no place to go it ends up in their bedding. So, now the bedding is wet, put freezing temperatures in the mix and now you have ducks with frostbite on their legs and feet.

I have 3 pens all in a row. Even the roof of the red pen has hwc on top. Hard to see but the sides that butt up against each other also have hwc on them.
IMG_1699.JPG

I was talking about the duck house having hardware cloth on it. Even in cold climates, ducks need ventilation because they expel so much moisture. If that moisture has no place to go it ends up in their bedding. So, now the bedding is wet, put freezing temperatures in the mix and now you have ducks with frostbite on their legs and feet.

I have 3 pens all in a row. Even the roof of the red pen has hwc on top. Hard to see but the sides that butt up against each other also have hwc on them.
View attachment 2200516
Makes since, so you would advise having like a hard cloth and wire on one side of the duck pen.

If you don't allow them nighttime access to food, they can go overnight without water. Remember, though, that unless you always take away their water at night, it will lower their egg production when you do.

This post is old as pointed out, IMO, still a very important topic for anyone who wants to know the answer. Understanding that everyone has different accommodation for their Poultry and valid reasons why they don't like wet messy bedding in the morning from the water, I agree 100%! Also knowing water is life, I wouldn't feel right about taking that out of the equation for any amount of time. To help reduce the mess I would us a smaller container with a hole in the lid just large enough for their beaks to fit and grab a drink if needed? This made a huge difference over having all the wet bedding from them splashing around in it. I have seen our ducks grab a big moth that has dropped from the bug zapper at night and the next stop was to the water dish. I think that moth would be bad news going down dry.

I think I’m just going to give them some food and water inside but not alit of each. I’m going to put down a tarp on the bottom on top of the plywood then the straw so the wood doesn’t mold. But could you just get treated plywood then it wouldn’t mold?

I think I’m just going to give them some food and water inside but not alit of each. I’m going to put down a tarp on the bottom on top of the plywood then the straw so the wood doesn’t mold. But could you just get treated plywood then it wouldn’t mold?
It will still get gross and slimy IMO.

Back
Top Bottom