Ended Official BYC Article Writing Contest - #15

On the sexing threads people are always saying that certain chickens, often Easter Eggers, have a female-specific pattern or a male-specific pattern -- which apparently they can ID even though those birds don't have breed standards.

I want to learn this skill. :)

Don't photos for this contest have to be your own?
Yes, I believe so.

On the sexing threads people are always saying that certain chickens, often Easter Eggers, have a female-specific pattern or a male-specific pattern -- which apparently they can ID even though those birds don't have breed standards.

I want to learn this skill. :)
I know a few simple ones, like if Salmon Faverolles have a lot of black then they are most likely boys. But not enough to write an article (yet!). Though I did find this thread you might be interested in: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-easter-eggers.785749/
I would love to see someone else do an article on this!

Chicken Eggshell Color Genetics

Chicken Eggshell Color Genetics

While it seems like the genetics of chicken egg color would be straightforward, this is not the case. Today we will dive into the intricate process of how eggs get their colors. This journey will start with a basic overview of poultry genetics and the process of coloring an egg. Then we’ll get...

360_F_280915162_kgw2nzpdzZZy3m1cpjdx17HAGN6Z90Cj.jpg

Hey all! Just a quick reminder that the contest ends in five days! So get your final edits and entries in!

Last edited:
@-Flash-
@3KillerBs
@All4Eggz
@BirdsBeesTrees
@FeatheredFriends&Horses2
@Gammas Bearded Babies
@Jacquej57
@Mason Farm and Ranch
@PioneerChicks
@pipdzipdnreadytogo
@Catbunnychick
@Pyewacketsmom
@Rain the house chicken
@Silkie Princess
@Weeg

Point Remember GIF

Only a few days left to get your final edits in.​

Please doublecheck your articles for:
  • Spelling & grammar. We suggest installing Grammarly and running a spell/grammar check.
  • Images from the web. Images from the web are not allowed. Only original pictures, taken by you, or someone you know (with their permission) are allowed. Articles with web images will be disqualified.
  • Word count. All articles should be at least 500 words. If you aren't sure how many words are in your article, copy and paste the article into a word counter like this one. Articles with less than 500 words might be disqualified.
Thanks, and good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom