Outstanding Automatic Feeder

lipazron

Chirping
10 Years
May 11, 2011
Having had several different kinds of feeders for my flocks over a dozen years, I finally switched to a Grandpa's Feeders automatic feeder and the result has been fantastic. The rats are no longer eating the food and there is little food waste. I fill the container once a week and the rest is automatic!

Looks like it would be just as effective...
BUT
I don't think having a single feeder is appropriate for 12 chickens and at the price it would have to save ~283# of feed before I saw any savings.
The tractor supply feeder is just a Grandpa knock off so it will do as well. Every single one of that style feeder including the Grandpa feeder is made in China.

But one feeder will feed 12 chickens easily. Our U.S. made medium would feed that many birds for 10 days before refilling and it costs less than the one in the link even after shipping to most of the U.S..

But even a poor feeder like the Grandpa or one of the other Chinese made clones is going to pay for itself, just takes longer to get the pay back than with a properly designed feeder that costs much less.

Our small feeder would feed 12 birds for four days before needing refilling, $65.00 plus shipping.

Do your research off Amazon. Yeah you get "free"shipping but the manufactures just mark up the item 30% to cover the shipping costs and the large percentage that Amazon charges to the vendors. Google chicken feeder reviews, avoid the review/blog sites that have Amazon links as they are getting a commission for recommending the feeders in their review. Moral hazard and all that, can't beat human nature. Some blog sites have disclaimers admitting they earn a commission, most break the law and stay silent.

I like my grandpas feeder too. Just wish the food flowed down better, but it's not a big deal to give it a push every few days.
That is one of their design flaws but you can wax the bottom of the feeder so the feed flows better. This is one of their more common complaints on the reviews, I have always wondered why they don't address the flaw. But their manufacturer is in China and the cost to change the jigs and fixtures might be the reason.

Might take a hole saw to the darned thing, start with one hole on one side so you can add another hole or half hole on the other side if that still isn't enough flow. You can always duct tape part of the hole if it flows too much.

The tractor supply feeder is just a Grandpa knock off so it will do as well. Every single one of that style feeder including the Grandpa feeder is made in China.

But one feeder will feed 12 chickens easily. Our U.S. made medium would feed that many birds for 10 days before refilling and it costs less than the one in the link even after shipping to most of the U.S..

But even a poor feeder like the Grandpa or one of the other Chinese made clones is going to pay for itself, just takes longer to get the pay back than with a properly designed feeder that costs much less.

Our small feeder would feed 12 birds for four days before needing refilling, $65.00 plus shipping.

Do your research off Amazon. Yeah you get "free"shipping but the manufactures just mark up the item 30% to cover the shipping costs and the large percentage that Amazon charges to the vendors. Google chicken feeder reviews, avoid the review/blog sites that have Amazon links as they are getting a commission for recommending the feeders in their review. Moral hazard and all that, can't beat human nature. Some blog sites have disclaimers admitting they earn a commission, most break the law and stay silent.
I wasn't talking about the volume of feed it would hold rather the possibility of top birds preventing lower birds from getting their fill by using a single feeder.

Back
Top Bottom