Please help!!! Last ditch effort!!!

Rortw1

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2020
I am at a loss with one of our 3 year old hens. I will try to make this short while providing context. A few months ago I could tell she wasn't eating as much as the other birds so I kept an eye on her. Maybe 4-5 weeks ago she kind of stopped eating and had white diarrhea around her vent. In an attempt to do something I ran a course of antibiotics. That didn't do anything so I moved on to a course of fenbendazole. That did not seem to have any effect so we went ahead and tried Corid as a last ditch effort. After a couple of days she seemed to be responding to the Corid. Weird thing is her appetite came back and her poop returned to normal for about 10 days. We didn't run a 2nd round of corrid drench on her a week later like we were supposed to. Last Friday she presented with sour crop. First bird we have had to ever have full sour crop with foul smelling breath ECT. We started another round of Corid and also started her on Micanazole. She has stopped eating and drinking anything in the last three days. We have been syringing her water with probiotics and she has taken in some yogurt but not much at all. I am perplexed as to why she responded to Corid the first time but nothing now? Her sour crop seems to be resolving. She makes a gurgling sound every time we give her anything like water or even the Micanazole treatment. I would she say she has aspiration pneumonia but she doesn't do it without ingesting something and she doesn't seem to be gasping, coughing or anything like that. Her poop is just white liquid with tiny green stuff in it. Just bile at this point. She is fading quickly and not sure what else to do. I would thing something more sinister is taking her down but it doesn't make sense how she responded to well to Corid a couple of weeks ago. I am lost as what to do. Please help with any suggestions you may have.

What antibiotic did you give her? Also, any nasal drainage, swollen sinuses, mucous in beak? Is she laying? Is her abdomen swollen? To give her some energy, you could syringe a mixture of honey, egg yolk, and green tea.

Her crop feels pretty much normal. You can feel a very tiny bit of squishy raised area there but not much. I bought Greek yogurt days ago and put it in front of her. The first night she ate some but now she might take a small peck and that's it. Would have to syringe it to her now at this point.

Her poop is just white liquid with tiny green stuff in it. Just bile at this point. She is fading quickly and not sure what else to do. I would thing something more sinister is taking her down but it doesn't make sense how she responded to well to Corid a couple of weeks ago.
She might be suffering from cancer which is one of the many occupational diseases laying hens succumb to at quite a young age.

The growing tumours often begin to interfere with the normal function of the intestines leading to crop stasis.

I would consider the perceived improvement during Corid therapy a coincidence.

Sour crop can sometimes be a secondary issue from antibiotic use, a fungal or bacterial infection, late impacted crop, and many hens with reproductive infection or salpingitis can get crop stasis which leads to crop problems. Gurgly sounds can come from crop contents coming back up into the throat if the crop is not emptying. Does it ever fully empty by early morning? Treating with the wormer was good, if she had worms causing her crop problem, and miconazole twice a day helps with sour crop. Some use acidified copper sulfate if sour crop doesn’t improve with other meds. Many times we don’t ever know exactly what was wrong until a necropsy can be done after we lose them. Most state vet labs do them if the body is refrigerated and kept cold, and some of us do them at home. Pictures posted here can be looked at for any opinions. I hope she turns a corner soon.

Back
Top Bottom