Possible hawk attack

Melissa Malone

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Coloma, California
Just wanted to get some information on treatment for one of my hens that looks like she was attacked my a hawk. I found her last evening when I went to do check that all my girls are were in for the night. She is a Blue/Black Orpington almost two years old. Very healthy and pretty big bird. Her back feathers were all stripped and she has three long gashes on her back, and a couple on her sides. I brought her in washed her and put some vetericyn spray on all areas. She made it through the night, I have her in my bathroom with water and some feed. Ive had other injured chickens before and have been able to nurse two back to health but not one cut this deeply. Any other thoughts on what I can do for her?

Sorry about your hen. Sometimes pictures of wounds and the chicken can help us see what you are seeing. Is she able to stand and walk, or is she down? Shock is common in the first day, and electrolytes or sugar water can help revive them. Is she be
breathing normally or is she having labored breathing? Has she shown interest in water or food? Chlorhexidene spray can be a good disinfectant if there is any sign of infection. Plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds can help until they are healing. If it was a hawk, they can hit with a lot of velocity, and sometimes there are internal injuries. Hopefully, she will recover.

Sorry about your hen. Sometimes pictures of wounds and the chicken can help us see what you are seeing. Is she able to stand and walk, or is she down? Shock is common in the first day, and electrolytes or sugar water can help revive them. Is she be
breathing normally or is she having labored breathing? Has she shown interest in water or food? Chlorhexidene spray can be a good disinfectant if there is any sign of infection. Plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds can help until they are healing. If it was a hawk, they can hit with a lot of velocity, and sometimes there are internal injuries. Hopefully, she will recover.
Heres a pic of the mail deep cuts
IMG_6951.jpg

Shes breathing normally but I haven noticed her eating or drinking. Ive been placing water droplet in her beak to get her to take some fluids in. Im pretty sure she can stand as she did when I placed her in the bathroom, but she is staying calm and just laying down.

Is that her back or belly? It sounds like she may still be in shock. I would keep trying to get some fluids into her, and maybe try some watery chicken feed and scrambled egg bits. Staying in a quiet area would be good for the time being. Let us know what she is like in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom