Question of the Day - Monday, April 29th, 2024

Pics
Like I said, it was slim pickings, definitely not my first choice.
Thanks for the recommendation, I can do that,
I'll expand the ram, that itself should help, not sure I want to mess with the hard drive yet.
Yeah, hard drives can be more difficult due to the fact they store data.

Depending on comfort level a adapter to plug the new drive in as a external and Clonezilla to clone the data over would be the next step after upgrading RAM. Upgrade RAM, see if it performs better first though.

Oof. No, don't do chromebook! Yikes!

Put your ear up to it. There should be a spinny noise. It's different than a fan noise. Some clicking might be hearable.

If you ever need tech help, PM me. That goes for everyone on BYC.
I think chromebooks are sold on commission, I can't think of any other good reason they're pushed so heavily.
(Besides cheap and 'streaming capabilities ').
Thanks!

Like I said, it was slim pickings, definitely not my first choice.
Thanks for the recommendation, I can do that,
I'll expand the ram, that itself should help, not sure I want to mess with the hard drive yet.
Oh yeah, no judgement on what you got at all. I fully understand the "this was the option I chose at the time because reasons". Done it many times myself. :)

I think chromebooks are sold on commission, I can't think of any other good reason they're pushed so heavily.
Thanks!
They're cheap so Google and the manufacturer love making profits off of schools and businesses they can push into them. I've modded two chromeboxes and a chromebook to run Linux. Makes them semi usable.

You're welcome! Let me know if you need help.

Thanks!
Chromebooks are marketed heavily to school districts and industries that need bulk, easily replaceable, inexpensive devices. They overlap with low-end consumer spaces because people using them at school and work know them and understand their functions. They're designed to really only have a lifecycle of a couple of years tops and be replaced, with the hope from vendors being that you will upgrade to a pricier model with more horsepower after you get a taste for their entry products. They get pushed because they are cheap to make and offer decent recurring sales /profit opportunities for vendors and resellers.

"No you don't need a 1200 dollar laptop, get this 300 dollar Chromebook and upgrade it with faster hardware in a year or 2. Save some money and not be stuck with an old dinosaur computer in a couple of years" (which is a mix of truth and lies. The hardware doesn't compare at any tier, but it will be faster stuff when your Chromebook dies)

Chromebooks are marketed heavily to school districts and industries that need bulk, easily replaceable, inexpensive devices. They overlap with low-end consumer spaces because people using them at school and work know them and understand their functions. They're designed to really only have a lifecycle of a couple of years tops and be replaced, with the hope from vendors being that you will upgrade to a pricier model with more horsepower after you get a taste for their entry products. They get pushed because they are cheap to make and offer decent recurring sales /profit opportunities for vendors and resellers.

"No you don't need a 1200 dollar laptop, get this 300 dollar Chromebook and upgrade it with faster hardware in a year or 2. Save some money and not be stuck with an old dinosaur computer in a couple of years" (which is a mix of truth and lies. The hardware doesn't compare at any tier, but it will be faster stuff when your Chromebook dies)
And if you keep buying chromebooks every two years, you will pay off the price of that $1200 laptop that would last longer if you get four chromebooks.

They're like disposable cameras
I can get refurbished chromebooks for less than it takes to fill my gas tank.
I didn't think you were judging. 😅 I just wanted to point out I usually make better decisions than that. At least I used to.

They're like disposable cameras
I can get refurbished chromebooks for less than it takes to fill my gas tank.
I didn't think you were judging. 😅 I just wanted to point out I usually make better decisions than that. At least I used to.
:lau
I have a old Intel Celeron chromebook that's got to be worth $20.

Back
Top Bottom