Hello!

Wow... She had a long live for a Muscovy...!!
I heard they only lived for 6-8 years... knowing drakes live generally longer than females, since they don't have to exhaust themselves by laying eggs...

Your experience with Cayuga reassure me.

I have another hen that is going broody (I think)...
She is an Azur hen, and I don't know... I think I could put 8 eggs underneath her? Maybe even nine or ten...?
So, I am trying to find 10 Cayuga eggs.

Yeah... you are indeed lucky!

I am probably being stupid, but since I have learned about prolapse in RUNNER drakes, I now prefer to have a "2-3 hens per drake" ratio.
Thanksfully, the only problem I currently have with my ducks is the fact my drakes are making their favorite girls bald... (3 drakes for 8 hens. But one drake is living his first mating season, so he is a MONSTER...)
But if ever I see it becomes dangerous, I can always separate them until the mating season ends...!

Ducks are indeed differents...
They are cuter, have a pretty bill, and it is just so sad to have to kill them...

All experiences are good to take...!

I'm envious... Your birds have to be beautiful!!

I don't think a lot of place sells chicks or ducklings online, in France.
Or that we could choose the sex we want...!

Actually, I would not even buy a sexed duckling : I heard vent sexing them could increase the risk of penile prolapse...?
If it's true : sounds terrible...

That's also what I thought about.
I don't know if drakes like Runners, or Cayuga, or Khaki Campbell would try to mate with smaller ducks, since they look so differents... but if they do, I would worry about my drakes hurting the ornemental ducks.

Thank you for telling me that...!!

Magpies look gentle and friendly. I would like to have at least 2 black and white (1 drake and 1 hen), since they are so cute...

I don't know about Swedish ducks : Duclair - they look alike - would be more accessible to me, since they are a French breed.
But I do wonder if Swedish and Duclair also have a similar behaviour...?
A Duclair pet would do a fine pet!

Nothing can surprise me anymore : I have a Runner drake that has learned to fly, and now, I know even Muscovies can fly...!

Oh yeah?
...Whatever : I would not feel bothered if they were loud.
(I actually like my ducks to be loud, so they can alert me if there are burglars!)

But I'm still thanskful for your post.
Thank you!

When you do, feel free to share your experiences with them.
And pictures...!!
Always nice to see them!

The Swedish are definitely the largest of my group! I’m not too familiar with Duclair and their personality, so I’m not sure if it’s the same. But Swedish are bigger, I think? They also make the most noise! I love it. It’s super cute.

They all “alert” if frightened or what not, but just going about their business, the Magpies don’t say a whole lot other than happy noises.

You may be fine with ornamental ducks, just depends on how much time you have to watch them to make sure everyone is living together politely.

I just noticed you asking how many hens per drake in your original post. I’ve seen 3-5 hens per drake is a good standard to go off of. But truly, having more hens than that wouldn’t be a bad thing. I have 7 hens and 3 drakes, which is why I’m getting more. They’re doing fine right now, as they’re just getting to the point of mating (they are 5 months old), but I don’t want to assume next year will be as easy (my drakes will back off if the hen isn’t interested in mating. I don’t want to get too comfy with that)

Originally I only wanted hens, but my brother got us some unsexed ducks for Christmas. (I wanted ducks, was just going to wait until after winter. But it worked out great)
I presumptively got more hens incase we had males. Glad I did!

Anyways, I’m rambling now lol will end this post until I think of more to add

The Swedish are definitely the largest of my group! I’m not too familiar with Duclair and their personality, so I’m not sure if it’s the same. But Swedish are bigger, I think?

I just verified, and yes : Swedish ducks are bit heavier than Duclair.

They also make the most noise! I love it. It’s super cute.

Thank you for telling me!
(Even the little things are good to know.)

They sound cute, indeed!

You may be fine with ornamental ducks, just depends on how much time you have to watch them to make sure everyone is living together politely.

I... actually don't think I am going to try my luck before 2025.

I will get some CAYUGA and/or KHAKI CAMPBELL first, then MAGPIE... and MAYBE some ornemental ducks next year if all of my ducks can behave like civilized birds...

I just noticed you asking how many hens per drake in your original post. I’ve seen 3-5 hens per drake is a good standard to go off of.

Because of an error from a seller, I first had got 2 Runner drakes and 2 Runner hens...
Not a good ratio, but I was lucky it worked until the second half of their first mating season... (After what : I remember I eventually had to separate the drakes from the hens when it looked to me like my drakes were much too aggressive with their girls...)

Now, I have 3 Runner drakes for 8 Runner hens.
The ratio is bad, but thanksfully, for the time being : I have no problem other than some bald heads. And caused only because of my youngest drake's sexual drive : it is his first mating season, so he does not know how to control himself with the girls.

With Cayuga and Khaki Campbell ducks, I will do as is recommended, and try to get at least 1 drake and 3 females of each.

Originally I only wanted hens, but my brother got us some unsexed ducks for Christmas. (I wanted ducks, was just going to wait until after winter. But it worked out great)

...Amazing!
That is a great Christmas gift!!

I presumptively got more hens incase we had males. Glad I did!

Ah, ah! Good thinking, yes!

Anyways, I’m rambling now lol will end this post until I think of more to add

Ramble, ramble...!
I like reading what people write about their animals, their experiences, and all they can want to say...!!
(Thank you for doing so!)

I just verified, and yes : Swedish ducks are bit heavier than Duclair.

Thank you for telling me!
(Even the little things are good to know.)

They sound cute, indeed!

I... actually don't think I am going to try my luck before 2025.

I will get some CAYUGA and/or KHAKI CAMPBELL first, then MAGPIE... and MAYBE some ornemental ducks next year if all of my ducks can behave like civilized birds...

Because of an error from a seller, I first had got 2 Runner drakes and 2 Runner hens...
Not a good ratio, but I was lucky it worked until the second half of their first mating season... (After what : I remember I eventually had to separate the drakes from the hens when it looked to me like my drakes were much too aggressive with their girls...)

Now, I have 3 Runner drakes for 8 Runner hens.
The ratio is bad, but thanksfully, for the time being : I have no problem other than some bald heads. And caused only because of my youngest drake's sexual drive : it is his first mating season, so he does not know how to control himself with the girls.

With Cayuga and Khaki Campbell ducks, I will do as is recommended, and try to get at least 1 drake and 3 females of each.

...Amazing!
That is a great Christmas gift!!

Ah, ah! Good thinking, yes!

Ramble, ramble...!
I like reading what people write about their animals, their experiences, and all they can want to say...!!
(Thank you for doing so!)

I think Khakis and Cayugas will be good to start with! They seem to be a well liked breed all around! Plus, they’re adorable (aren’t they all though?)

If you have an Instagram, I just made one recently for my ducks. The handle is @freckledducks
You can see them up close and hear them!

Maybe an ornamental drake would work! That way you won’t have to worry about the bigger drakes injuring a tiny hen. I know it’s kinda iffy on drakes getting along, especially during mating season, but it could be worth a try forsure! Obviously if/when you do decide.

Hi!

I think Khakis and Cayugas will be good to start with! They seem to be a well liked breed all around! Plus, they’re adorable (aren’t they all though?)

I bought 9 eggs online just now!
(First time in my life I buy fertilized eggs online...)

1 egg from CAYUGA ducks, and 8 from KHAKI CAMPBELL ducks.

(I actually would have prefered buying 9 Cayuga eggs first, but there was only ONE in stock... I took it for my mom, just in case we are lucky and one little Cayuga duckling get out of it!)

I hope to receive them saturday, and not next monday...?

I love KHAKI CAMPBELL ducks, and I really want to have some duck eggs for next winter... so, I am not disapointed to buy eggs from them before Cayuga eggs!

Now, I am just hoping my Azur hen can sit on 9 eggs!
(10... I don't think so. But 9 should be fine!)

If you have an Instagram, I just made one recently for my ducks. The handle is @freckledducks
You can see them up close and hear them!

Sadly, I don't have an Instagram account.
But feel free to post your pictures and/or videos here!

Maybe an ornamental drake would work! That way you won’t have to worry about the bigger drakes injuring a tiny hen. I know it’s kinda iffy on drakes getting along, especially during mating season, but it could be worth a try forsure! Obviously if/when you do decide.

You... are actually right!
I did not think about taking ornemental drakes without any of their hens, but... why not?

I have the time to think about that : for now, I want to get my (future) Cayuga, Khaki Campbell, and Magpie ducks first...!

And I also will have to dig and make a big pond, because the ducks pool I have has "only" a capacity of 400 liters.
It is big enough for my ducks for now, but if I can, I want to make a pond so they have more space to swim comfortably together with my next ducks...

Hi, for what it's worth, I read on Metzer's website that they DO ship overseas. 😏

Thank you for looking!

I am happy enough with what I can find in France, but just in case...

...I just looked, and I could not help to notice the one website I just bought ducks eggs from has the EXACT same pictures of KHAKI CAMBELL ducks than the one from Metzer Farm : https://www.metzerfarms.com/khaki-campbell-ducks.html
God... I so hope the site I bought these eggs from is legit...! (I have verified before buying, but with the Internet, it is easy to have our money stolen...!!)

Hi!

I bought 9 eggs online just now!
(First time in my life I buy fertilized eggs online...)

1 egg from CAYUGA ducks, and 8 from KHAKI CAMPBELL ducks.

(I actually would have prefered buying 9 Cayuga eggs first, but there was only ONE in stock... I took it for my mom, just in case we are lucky and one little Cayuga duckling get out of it!)

I hope to receive them saturday, and not next monday...?

I love KHAKI CAMPBELL ducks, and I really want to have some duck eggs for next winter... so, I am not disapointed to buy eggs from them before Cayuga eggs!

Now, I am just hoping my Azur hen can sit on 9 eggs!
(10... I don't think so. But 9 should be fine!)

Sadly, I don't have an Instagram account.
But feel free to post your pictures and/or videos here!

You... are actually right!
I did not think about taking ornemental drakes without any of their hens, but... why not?

I have the time to think about that : for now, I want to get my (future) Cayuga, Khaki Campbell, and Magpie ducks first...!

And I also will have to dig and make a big pond, because the ducks pool I have has "only" a capacity of 400 liters.
It is big enough for my ducks for now, but if I can, I want to make a pond so they have more space to swim comfortably together with my next ducks...

Thank you for looking!

I am happy enough with what I can find in France, but just in case...

...I just looked, and I could not help to notice the one website I just bought ducks eggs from has the EXACT same pictures of KHAKI CAMBELL ducks than the one from Metzer Farm : https://www.metzerfarms.com/khaki-campbell-ducks.html
God... I so hope the site I bought these eggs from is legit...! (I have verified before buying, but with the Internet, it is easy to have our money stolen...!!)
Yayyyy!!! I’m happy you decided!

Let us know how the egg hatching goes!!

& I have seen a decent amount of places use photos from Metzer/other hatcheries and still have great reviews! So you should be okay I would hope

Yayyyy!!! I’m happy you decided!

Let us know how the egg hatching goes!!

I will!
...Of course hoping here the travel from the very north of France won't affect the eggs viability...

& I have seen a decent amount of places use photos from Metzer/other hatcheries and still have great reviews! So you should be okay I would hope

...You reassure me!

The seller is an older man, so maybe it was just easier for him to choose pictures from the Internet in order to show people what the breeds he sells looks like...?

He does seem to be kind...

I actually contacted him yesterday : I wanted to be sure the ducklings I would obtain from the eggs are NOT offsprings from ducks vaccinated against Avian Influenza...
And he was kind enough to text me (just) this morning! (Telling me his birds are not vaccinated against avian flu, thanksfully : he made the choice to be extra-careful about the vaccine.)

Hi.

I have received the eggs.

And there is probably no mistake from the seller, since they were marked - 8 Khaki Campbell eggs, and 1 Cayuga eggs.

The eggs look to be around 65-70 grams each; and I do wonder if I was being stupid when I bought them, because they are relatively big, and I don't know if my Azur hen is big enough herself to cover 9 medium-sized eggs...?

(If somebody would know, please do tell!)

For the time being, I put all of these eggs underneath my hen; and I am now waiting to see if I will get to meet cute Cayuga and Khaki Campbell babies.

(I will have to remove eggs tomorrow, if my hen is finally not big enough to cover all of them...)

I do hope the travel did not affect the eggs viability!

Hi.

I have received the eggs.

And there is probably no mistake from the seller, since they were marked - 8 Khaki Campbell eggs, and 1 Cayuga eggs.

The eggs look to be around 65-70 grams each; and I do wonder if I was being stupid when I bought them, because they are relatively big, and I don't know if my Azur hen is big enough herself to cover 9 medium-sized eggs...?

(If somebody would know, please do tell!)

For the time being, I put all of these eggs underneath my hen; and I am now waiting to see if I will get to meet cute Cayuga and Khaki Campbell babies.

(I will have to remove eggs tomorrow, if my hen is finally not big enough to cover all of them...)

I do hope the travel did not affect the eggs viability!
Glad to hear you got them and that they’re correct!

It’s always a gamble with shipping eggs in terms of viability! Fingers crossed for you

Glad to hear you got them and that they’re correct!

It’s always a gamble with shipping eggs in terms of viability! Fingers crossed for you

Hi!

And my money was not stolen (I have verified), so the website really was legit... Thanks God!
(Even after receiving the eggs, I was kind of afraid about that...)

My Azur hen, small as she is, is in fact able to cover these 9 duck eggs...
Yet : when I first put them underneath her, I actually did not believe she would; and so, I was prepared for removing at least one! But when I looked in her coop several hours later, she was perfectly covering ALL of them...!!

So, I'm happy about that.
And really excited, since this year is also my first time giving to broody hens eggs that are NOT laid by my birds...

Back
Top Bottom