Silkie Experts NEEDED!!! Warning:*Pic heavy!!* Sorry, dial-uppers.

hit.gif
Don't say that Silkiechicken...
tongue.png
Really, even with the size? Ares is huge Silkie for 4 months to me....I don't know....
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

You can't trust size when telling the sex. I have mature birds who are smaller than my immature birds. Its genetics that will determine their size.

Wattles are not the best way to sex either. Bearded Silkies have very small wattles. Non-breardeds will have bigger wattles. And then sometimes because of breeding beardeds can have wattles the size of non-beardeds

Looking at Ares' head feathers it looks male but the rear end looks female.

There are you completely confused now? This needs to be revisited when the birds are old enough to lay. Even crowing is not 100% since some hens will crow. And of course since they're Silkies they lay whenever they decide to. So you could be waiting for a while.

Hank is the Hen Vicki is the Roo!

100_1620.jpg

I don't know if you can see the shape of the bodies!

Ares has the same shape as my Henwho is on the left!

do you have a body side view for Dragon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi im sure Ares and Dragon are both males.
The boys have an "elvis do" ie slicker hair do and more standy upy and the girls have the afro do ie fluffier and more spread out.

RChicks, I am new to chickens, and new to my 6 week old silkies. I know now its somewhat hard to tell, but what do you mean by body shape? Could you please explain a little bit more in depth on that please. Thanks so much
smile.png

Dont worry too much. If i end up with more than one, i'll trade it for a girl. I have 4 blues that are 9 weeks old right now. I'd like to have one roo....but if i get more than one, i will be willing to talk with you
smile.png

DSC_0459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom