Top Hat Chickies!!! Pros and cons?

I had a few polish.

Cons - They are flighty. Not really friendly. They are small. They did not start laying until 30+ weeks old. My standard chickens plucked them bald.

Pro - They lay a nice white egg.

I've found that chicks from them are not very hardy. They do lay a nice white egg for the table though. Extra protection from predators is needed since they cannot see from above. I have my polish hen in with my ameraucanas since I can easily tell her egg apart from their blue ones, and with the more vigilant roosters calling out any threats (real and/or imaginary), she does ok free ranging that way.

IF they are fligthy, can I clip one wing to keep her from flying away.

What canI do about her not seeing?
I dont wanna clip off her hat.

Anymore pros/cons?

Flighty as in skittish, not that she'll fly away. Some tie back the crest with a rubber band I believe. Or pluck just enogh from around the eyes so that she can see. They also don't have much nesting instinct. Alot of times they will lay their eggs in any place, rather than stick to the nest box. And most will not hatch eggs. They are pretty though, used for ornamental purposes.

So they are like one of my old chickens. She randomly laid eggs in random spots. I doubt I'll try to breed her though. Shes a banty, which means tiny eggs to eat for DH and DS

I love mine. I do not find them skiddish at all, sometimes I wish they were so I didn't have to worry about stepping on them! Mine have always been friendly and curious and follow me around the yard to see what I'm doing. I have some large ones and some small. My small white crested black Dot, is like my shadow. cons would be that they aren't known to be real broody and predators can be more of a problem for the bantam size. On some I do clip around the eyes just so they can see a little better.
big_smile.png

I have some Crevecouers and they follow me everywhere in the yard!! They are so gentle I can just pick them up but I have to watch where I walk because they stay right with my legs when I walk. They are a beautiful top hat breed also. And the Golden Buff Laced Polish are the same way . Mine are not skittish either. Excellent choices ! Just FYI !!!!
smile.png
smile.png

Our polish are a blast, they can be a little flighty if their crests are too big but keeping it trimmed generally solves that. They have a lot of personality and are really friendly. Ours are at least.

Back
Top Bottom