What did you do in the garden today?

View attachment 3817023
Does anyone recognize this? I think it's a weed...?

Could be basswood
I think you're right. I found this, re google image search...

Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 3.41.03 PM.png

Got my fruit trees sprayed again for fungus following all that rain. More coming beginning on Thursday.

I need to figure out a way to tie up my grape vines. They have grown over and beyond their fence support and are now taking over anything and everything next to the fence. The grapes are the ONE THING that DH actually cares about in the garden so I don't really want to severely prune them back. I'm thinking about wrapping them with baling twine to try to hold them back. I wonder if that might work??? 🤔🤔🤔

Scoured over the strawberry barrels tonight. Picked off a lot of small fruit and tiny flowers in hopes of forcing the plants to produce bigger berries. I noticed one barrel has fruit that looks a little dingy brown. Anyone know what causes that? I haven't tried to look it up yet to make sure it isn't something that could spread to the other barrels. All the foliage looks generally healthy. No blight or spotting

Edited to add... Looks like the bronzing is likely thrips or spider mites. Going to treat them with spinosad.

Last edited:
I weeded most of the garden beds against the house and garage. The back one was ridiculous! I found a hole in it at one point, and was expecting it to be a mole/mouse tunnel. Nope! It was a cup shaped divot FILLED with weeds. So something was making a bed/nest, and I ruined it. All the weeds were green, so it's fresh.

I have about a half of a bed left to weed and they will be prepped for all the herbs I plan on filling them with. Then, I have to start my work in the main crop garden (weeding, planting, building trellises, planting, probably keeping up with weeds...).

Hopefully, I get a load of wood chips soon! I called an arborist in the area, and they said they'd drop off a load if they were close. Maybe I'll call one or two more places... I would sign up for chipdrop.com, but they don't call you before dropping stuff off, and the activity map makes me think it will be more than a year before I get a drop!

The apple trees and pear tree have exploded into blooms. We don't normally find morels until mid-May, but we have found a couple. I'm trying to leave them so they can spread their spores. We found a pair of them at the back of our shed, in the rocks! I feel like our morels don't follow the rules everyone has told me, other than them liking old apple trees.
C78CAFFE-A09A-49E2-AAE5-0B07B1ED4394.jpeg

I weeded most of the garden beds against the house and garage. The back one was ridiculous! I found a hole in it at one point, and was expecting it to be a mole/mouse tunnel. Nope! It was a cup shaped divot FILLED with weeds. So something was making a bed/nest, and I ruined it. All the weeds were green, so it's fresh.

I have about a half of a bed left to weed and they will be prepped for all the herbs I plan on filling them with. Then, I have to start my work in the main crop garden (weeding, planting, building trellises, planting, probably keeping up with weeds...).

Hopefully, I get a load of wood chips soon! I called an arborist in the area, and they said they'd drop off a load if they were close. Maybe I'll call one or two more places... I would sign up for chipdrop.com, but they don't call you before dropping stuff off, and the activity map makes me think it will be more than a year before I get a drop!

The apple trees and pear tree have exploded into blooms. We don't normally find morels until mid-May, but we have found a couple. I'm trying to leave them so they can spread their spores. We found a pair of them at the back of our shed, in the rocks! I feel like our morels don't follow the rules everyone has told me, other than them liking old apple trees.
View attachment 3817347
Looks like a grey. They usually come up first before yellows and blacks. 😊

I get to mushroom hunt once a year... You can bet your britches I'll be outside this weekend looking for some! 😂

And yes, they LOVE apple trees. My in-laws ALWAYS find a good mess in their apple orchard.

Back
Top Bottom