When should I seperate the roosters from the hens?

Well I figure if I can dress out and butcher a deer, as well as squirrels, Canadian geese and pheasants, I should be able to handle the Roosters. I had a Turkey when I was younger and I have had one or two geese and ducks at a time on and off throughout the years. (Never butchered them though.) The one thing with the ducks & geese is that we have a 1/3 acre pond we built on our property. (see pic) and we will be running fencing around all sides to keep them within that area.

20070310_IMG_0420.jpg

check out my member page for more pond photos and some of the bridge we constructed over it.

Thanks for the compliment on the pond. We are pretty proud of it. It took a lot of work on our part. Not sure if I am going to eat the ducks, their eggs definitely though.

Hi, my name is Jacquelilne and I am also new at this.... I had two egg layers and two roosters, on eof the roosters broke the leg of, and injured my little hen. I separated them and yesterday the rooster had a heart attack and died.
I now have one of each, once her leg is mended "Elizabeth Taylor " will join the others, will this cause problems again and should I always keep the rooster separate or just cook him at the weekend.(reluctantly as he is gorgeous. thanks Jacqueline.

One of my Silkies is for sure a male. He has the big dew claw and he started crowing this morning. Another one is suspect. We have two coops. Our first one is smaller and then the expanded 10x12 with a run in both. Should I seperate them now or wait. Not sure if the rooster will get separation anxiety or not.

Back
Top Bottom