When should I seperate the roosters from the hens?

bizzeeb60

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Frostproof, FL
Okay, I'm still a newbie at this chicken stuff so bear with me. Now that I know what kind of chickens I have and that I definitely have 5 hens and 4 Roosters. Hubby says I may keep just one Rooster when they are grown (they are only about 75 days old right now). {named the biggest on Chester, so hubby can't change his mind on letting me keep one} anyhow, is there a certain age when I should separate the Roosters away from the hens, before I get rid of three of the four? Will it matter if I keep the one Rooster with the hens even if I don't want them to brood but want the eggs?

If you keep a rooster with the hens it will fertalize the eggs, but that is no big deal, and the eggs will taste (and look) the same.

As far as when you should separate the roosters, I think you only have to do it if they are fighting with each other or the hens are being over-bred. They aren't like rabbits, where if you don't separate them you will have babies.
wink.png
With chickens they will only hatch if you let them.

I've removed them as soon as I knew which was which. It was just simpler on me to be done with it. There was little effect that I could tell - life went on in the chicken yard.

If you keep a male with 5 hens, there WILL be mating, as soon as he is able. Every bird is different, but this normally happens before 6 months goes by. You can eat fertile eggs, with no worry... unless that bothers you.

cool.png
Thanks for the help. I needed to know in case hubby needed to build separate coop. I cannot let them Free range here due to way to many predators....we have owls, hawks, bobcats and even the occasional passing through Florida Panther, not to mention the ton of free roaming house cats and dogs.

Another question though: If they don't fight, can I keep 2 or 3 roosters in a coop separate from the hens and one in with the hens?

Some people have had good luck with keeping just Roos together. Some people have had nightmares with their fighting and killing each other.

You can always try and be prepared with Plan B if they fight.

I wouldn't keep more than your one Roo with your girls though. You need about 20 hens to have two Roosters in with them together. There's usually too much competition for the girls with two Roos and less hens.

It might be advantageous for you to keep all the Roos (three in a separate pen) until they've all grown up. You may get a real meanie and want to replace him or you'll love the 'looks' and/or personality of one of the others.

Of course, the longer you keep them... the more you get attached and the harder it is to let them go.

Don't get upset with me for saying this, but have you thought of eating the roos? If you are squeamish about doing the deed, you can take them to a processor. You have, after all, raised the meat yourself and know it is clean and fresh, much better than what you would buy in the store.

We butcher our own, and it really isn't such a big deal, if you don't let yourself get attached to the roos you aren't going to keep around. I feel a great sense of pride knowing I raised the meat myself, and I can feed my family healthy food.

PS I have 6 cockerels right now, and they like to half-fight. It is their nature to see who is the Alpha. Our Alpha is a HUGE Cuckoo Marans named Jean Robert. I think we might keep him because he's quite the protector.

Thanks again for the help. I guess I will wait a little longer. Sofar the Roos haven't been fighting. Hopefully the one I named Chester (he is the largest and prettiest so far) will stay friendly enough.

My other option is that my friend that gave us the nine chicks for free, said he would take 3 of the Roos off my hands in exchange for another batch of biddies. Might decide to do that too if they are a different breed or I really decide I like this raising chicken thing. And can Hubby to definitely expand the coop. Not real sure on that though because he still wants to get ducks, geese and Turkeys.

Oh don't worry not offended. That was the Hubby's first suggestion of the extra Roos. Extra Crispy or original, didn't matter. That may be what we do. My parents grew up butchering chickens so I'm sure they can help me there. And we may decide to raise some for just meat.

lol.png
I also had that thought the morning just a few weeks after I got them and it one slipped out on me when I opened the gate to feed them, 3 hours later, with some help I got him back in. And I swore he would be deep fried or roasted if he did it again

lol.png
good for you! have to keep those naughty chickens in check.
D.gif

There is a lot of good information here and other places online also for butchering. We just did our first one a few months ago, and it was a good learning experience. We learned it was no big deal and they taste really good!
tongue.png

We have ducks and turkeys right now, also. The turkeys are still tiny, just living in the brooder. One is named Thanksgiving and the other is Christmas. They are Bronze Breasted, but not sure the sexes yet. Our three White Pekin ducks are going away this next weekend. We already have their recipes picked out.
wink.png
Beware if you haven't raised ducks before... they are STINKY and MESSY and poop and splash water everywhere, making your brooder a disaster area every single day. No matter how good these 3 may taste, we are NEVER doing ducks again. No no no.
he.gif

Excited about the turkeys, though. They are much more "chicken-like."

Back
Top Bottom