When to combine flock?

Mamakloos

Hatching
Apr 21, 2024
So we got chicks and have had them in the same area as the rest of our chickens since purchase except they’ve been in crates as a little brooder area so there not fully together and are protected for all intents and purposes but can still “socialize”.

However, some of these chicks are getting too big for the small area but they aren’t as big as the rest of the flock. Even though they’re smaller would it be safe to release them to be with the rest of the flock since they have been semi socialized or does it need to wait?

How old are they? I like to make a couple little doors in their brooder so they can jet in and out of, big enough for them but not the bigs... open the doors for a few days when the bigs aren't around to let them explore and learn the doors and then open them with the bigs and monitor them.
Lots of little hidey spots for the littles to get away in the run and no places they can get cornered by the bigs really helps.

Monitoring for excessive chasing, pecking or blood shed means it might be too soon.
I'm about to do the same with 8 3 week olds..🙂

Hope this helps and good luck...

I’m currently on day 12 of hatching on my broody buff O’s (and my) second hatch. Last year I separated the chicks until they were around 17 weeks but this year I’m hoping to integrate them into the flock much earlier. Just trying to work out how best to do it. Just candled (first time ever) and 7/8 look to be fertile with two wriggling away nicely.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined!

How old are those chicks. How long ago was purchase so we know how long they have been exposed to the adults? I assume weather is not a concern.

In feet or meters how big is your run? How big is your coop? Photos showing your set-up could help a lot.

Without knowing details of your chicks and set-up it is hard for me to get very specific. We are each unique in our own ways.

I brood in the coop so my chicks are exposed to the adults straight from the incubator or post office. At five weeks of age I generally open the brooder door and let them mingle. But I have a fairly large coop with hiding places and more than 2,000 square feet (185 square meters) of space outside. It is easy for the younger ones to avoid the older. There are plenty of hiding spaces outside too. If your room is tight you can get totally different results.

I actually have same question
I have currently 7 hens that are 8 months old …. I have chicks that are 4-5 and 6 weeks old one chick was already 1 week a EE when we got her and she is a lil bigger and is about 6 weeks but a few have since pretty much caught up in size and they are a Wyandotte and Barnevelder and another EE which are all about 5 weeks
Then I have two a lil smaller one is a Delaware and one is a Welsummer which are 4 weeks old and a Ameruacana also 4 weeks They all get along fine but I and going to be putting out into another coop and run that is attached to main coops run so they will see each other and can socialize but can’t get attacked … how long should I keep they socializing before letting them in with the others? My others are another Wyandotte / two buff Orpingtons / two red sexlinks and 2 silkies ?

I don't worry about size. There are plenty of cases where a bantam dominates a full-sized chicken. It is the spirit of the chicken that counts much more than size. A mature chicken will always dominate an immature chicken regardless of size until that chicken matures enough to stand up for itself. Until then it will try to run away.

how long should I keep they socializing before letting them in with the others?

I have the same response.

In feet or meters how big is your run? How big is your coop? Photos showing your set-up could help a lot.

Depending in your room and set-up a week could be enough. Or they may need to go a lot longer. I consider it important that they know to go back to their safe sleeping place instead of having to immediately move in with the bigs at night. Sometimes even that works out but I like to take that part of it really gradually.

How old are they? I like to make a couple little doors in their brooder so they can jet in and out of, big enough for them but not the bigs... open the doors for a few days when the bigs aren't around to let them explore and learn the doors and then open them with the bigs and monitor them.
Lots of little hidey spots for the littles to get away in the run and no places they can get cornered by the bigs really helps.

Monitoring for excessive chasing, pecking or blood shed means it might be too soon.
I'm about to do the same with 8 3 week olds..🙂

Hope this helps and good luck...
A lot of them are about 10 weeks old at this point? They’re fully feathered but only about 7-8 inches tall

Mine went out to my pole barn where my coops are at 4 days old. My brooder coop is attached to my Marans coop. During the day I can take down the 3 piece sheeting covering the HC and door for integration but put it back up at dusk so the bigs are not bothered by the red heat lamp. They just turned 4 weeks and will be off heat by end of week.
Here's a few super short videos of interaction with the bigs the first few days of letting them out. I've since pulled the make shift fencing down now and have the door propped solid open a few inches so bigs can't enter the brooder coop.

The last video is where I think I was rushing the integration by throwing some scratch down and my roo Kong wasn't as welcoming to the littles as the girls. So I've had to monitor him when he enters the coop. We talked, tho and he says he'll try to share...🙂

Back
Top Bottom