Pics

WalnutTree

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
WA Seattle
What are the worst chicken breeds you've ever owned?
It can be stories from you, family, or friends. Please share your thoughts and experiences!
This is a free space, so be free to hate, complain, and voice your opinion on your worst breed.
There isn't a lot of "Worst Breeds" Threads out there, so i decided make a new one!! :)

The chicken breed i find to be the worst is the classic White Leghorn. Their attitude, shape, and color i'm all not a fan of. I gave them a chance once, but they didn't stay long.

Silkies and hybrids. I don’t like either. I think Silkies are drop dead cute, maybe it’s just the ones I had, but they were weakish, susceptible to the elements and disease and my roo had a god awful crow. My hybrids have always had laying issues and they are far too confident and tend to bully others. I think they’re overrated. Plus, they’re extremely popular in the UK, they seem to be the only chicken that exist and it’s so annoying that people won’t research and venture out of that box. And lastly I’ll say my Marans/Legbar olive eggers. They were 9 months when I rehomed them and never laid, squatted or anything, but they had the combs and wattles of a 5 yr old hen.

*This is only my opinion. There are plenty of owners who will vouch for Silkies, hybrids and OE.

Unpopular opinion, but like @featheredplanets I am not a fan of silkies. Our previous flock was inherited and the silkies were not suited for the rainy climate of the PNW and always looked liked sad soggy diapers standing in mud. They are also virtually defenseless and have zero survival instinct (from my experience) and not a one died from old age but from predation or stupidity.

I love my silkies, so will disagree with people on that one!

I don't have a worst breed as such, but I have breeds that I wouldn't choose to keep again.

I started out, like most people with RSLs because I didn't want to risk getting a boy. They were lovely natured and so so friendly. But vicious raptors to other breeds, until we got down to one left and she was a sweetie, lived for years and brooded like a silkie. Lost too many to egg issues while young as well.

I wouldn't keep Orpingtons again either. Huge heavy bird, eats a lot but only lays medium sized eggs. I've had much bigger eggs from smaller chickens. That said my double laced Orpington was stunningly beautiful.

I had always wanted Black Jersey Giants. Bought 2 day old chicks and hand raised them with love and care to be tame and friendly. Both started to crow. Gave them to someone who most likely ate them. Not the best experience with Jersey Giants!

awww, i was thinking of getting BOs cause they are supposed to be smarter chickens.
They are too smart sometimes. My friend's took a double bagged treat bag out of my pocket, took the smaller bag out of the big bag, ran away with it to under the deck where we couldn't get it, ripped it open, and had a mealworm feast.

Back
Top Bottom