Best candler for dark eggs

FYI

I called Brinsea today and they recommended the High Intensity Candler for darker eggs over the Ovascope.

Thanks,

Becky where it's still freezing cold and snowing in North Dakota.....sigh

I used a 9 LED flash light to candle my eggs, I had no problem seeing inside the brown eggs, but the blue-green egg I could not
get a good visual. Anyone recommend a candling method for blue or green eggs ?

So after looking up tons of information, prices and referring to this post. I've determined what will hopefully be my solution. I have dark dark brown eggs from marans, and I have blue and green eggs that are impossible to see through. My next venture is getting Cayuga ducks who lay BLACK eggs until they mature more. So hopefully I've found a solution that will work.

I just ordered this flashlight that gives off 500 lumens on high and is a Q5? I'm not sure what that means exactly but I went on ebay looking for flashlights with greater than 300 lumens and wanted to see specifications proving what kind of power it had. All the brinsea equipment fails to mention any kind of measurement of light. Some of the other posts mention not being able to see through dark eggs with them and they even cost more than this mega flashlight. Double! Or more!

I will be eagerly awaiting it's arrival, and will post the final results with my darkest chicken eggs here. I think it will be quite a while before I have duck eggs, but I'll be more than willing to tell you how that goes in several months too!

Until then here is the link to what I purchased and maybe they are blowing steam up my you know what. But I guess for $26 I'll find out! If it doesn't work I'll be in the shop making one, I don't like the heat those lights put out though!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180631902059#ht_6597wt_1202

I got it, I got it! It's tiny, bright, and has a weird charger and batteries. I've only used it on fresh eggs since I'm not incubating. During the day I just tucked myself into the somewhat dark stairwell and I can see the yolk in the green/blue eggs! There are little dents in the metal around the top and it lets some light out the sides of the more narrow eggs. This will most likely be remedied by putting a thick rubber band around the end to make a nice seal. You know, the ones that come on broccoli?

I've found my solution and can't wait to incubate. Unfortunately I don't have any need for more chickens. And we'll have to wait a long time for the ducks to lay eggs. Seeing as we haven't even ordered the ducklings! Guess I'll just have to settle for candling all the eggs to sell. Hmm, now to figure out grading...

500 Lumen flashlight is what I'm talking about. The package from ebay was covered with asian characters and I don't want to think about when the batteries quit holding a charge. I just google searched 500 lumen flashlight and it brought up quite a few options and different sizes and styles. The prices seem to be a lot higher than $26 I paid, except one for $16.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180631902059#ht_6597wt_1202

Quote:
Its nice to know I'm not the only one looking out the back door at night to check on my chickens
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom