Aug 31, 2021
Okay ever since I got Shelby she’s been an unhealthy chicken, always wants to be left alone and is very flighty. I brought her inside today because of the frostbite on her comb and she had one solid poop and is now shooting out diarrhea! At this point I’m just not sure what to do with her.
For some reason it’s not letting me add a photo so I’ll post photo in the thread...

Here she is, warming up in the dog crate in our basement

Attachments

• 93212DCB-6527-4972-ABE0-16ADD3D6A9D0.jpeg
    93212DCB-6527-4972-ABE0-16ADD3D6A9D0.jpeg
    522 KB · Views: 3
You mention she's been unhealthy since you got her = what symptoms have you noted? Have you treated with any medications? If so, what?
How long have you had her?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

I would focus on getting her hydrated, make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites. Hard to know what's going on with her besides the frostbite.

You mention she's been unhealthy since you got her = what symptoms have you noted? Have you treated with any medications? If so, what?
How long have you had her?
When is the last time she laid an egg?

I would focus on getting her hydrated, make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites. Hard to know what's going on with her besides the frostbite.
She’s had problems with diarrhea before including it getting stuck to her butt, so I’ve given her lots of epsom salt baths and I hadn’t noticed it in awhile. She’s only 7 months old and hasn’t laid any eggs yet. Other things I’ve noticed is just the way she stays to herself, doesn’t go with the rest of the flock at all, sits in one spot all day. She’s drinking lots of water, not eating much food though. I’ve also noticed that her legs are pretty scaly, not sure if it’s just her breed or if it’s mites.

She’s had problems with diarrhea before including it getting stuck to her butt, so I’ve given her lots of epsom salt baths and I hadn’t noticed it in awhile. She’s only 7 months old and hasn’t laid any eggs yet. Other things I’ve noticed is just the way she stays to herself, doesn’t go with the rest of the flock at all, sits in one spot all day. She’s drinking lots of water, not eating much food though. I’ve also noticed that her legs are pretty scaly, not sure if it’s just her breed or if it’s mites.
Can you take a sample of her poop to your vet to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are a problem?

Some birds unfortunately are just not thrifty, that may be the case, but it would be good to rule out something treatable. If you feel the legs/feet are scaly, then apply vaseline to them, work it up underneath the scales of the feet/legs. Do this a couple of times a week, it will smother SLM. If there's no SLM, the vaseline won't hurt anything either way.

DO check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom