Eggbound hen? Please help!

selenaapril

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2019
Hi BYC,
After researching the symptoms my bantam chicken had, I think she might be eggbound. For a couple of days she’s been waddling around, dragging her tail and she can’t stand up correctly. She uses her wings to stabilize her but she can’t balance. She waddles around for a bit but then stops and closes her eyes and drops her head. She’s been eating and drinking just fine. I put some calcium into her food and gave her an epsom salt bath yesterday. Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 1E1730D5-3BE4-498A-84EC-B824A2321799.jpeg
    1E1730D5-3BE4-498A-84EC-B824A2321799.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 8B317190-6EA7-4486-9BEA-278F0136B65C.jpeg
    8B317190-6EA7-4486-9BEA-278F0136B65C.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 9
  • C20FE017-0033-4BB3-97EC-A13C41CA8021.jpeg
    C20FE017-0033-4BB3-97EC-A13C41CA8021.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 9E8BEE07-3771-40F6-8A81-C19F7C9F0B0E.jpeg
    9E8BEE07-3771-40F6-8A81-C19F7C9F0B0E.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 9
What type of calcium did you give her? If it's oyster shell or calcium too low in concentration, it may not be enough. I use calcium citrate or calcium gluconate at least 400mg. Oyster shell and other calcium carbonate sources are either too low in concentration or not easily absorbed.

What does her poop look like? A photo can tell us quite a bit. Has she been a regular egg layer? When was the last time she laid an egg? Was it normal?

Have you checked her crop? Sometimes crop issues will present as some diseases do. To verify a crop issue or to rule it out, you need to check her crop early in the morning before she has access to food and water. A normal crop will be flat and empty.

What type of calcium did you give her? If it's oyster shell or calcium too low in concentration, it may not be enough. I use calcium citrate or calcium gluconate at least 400mg. Oyster shell and other calcium carbonate sources are either too low in concentration or not easily absorbed.

What does her poop look like? A photo can tell us quite a bit. Has she been a regular egg layer? When was the last time she laid an egg? Was it normal?

Have you checked her crop? Sometimes crop issues will present as some diseases do. To verify a crop issue or to rule it out, you need to check her crop early in the morning before she has access to food and water. A normal crop will be flat and empty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 10
Here’s a picture of her stool, she’s been sitting with me for a while. She used to be a regular egg layer but she hasn’t laid an egg since mid December. I gave her crushed up calcium supplements and put them in her food

Here’s a picture of her stool, she’s been sitting with me for a while. She used to be a regular egg layer but she hasn’t laid an egg since mid December. I gave her crushed up calcium supplements and put them in her food
Is there anything I can do?

I’m not an expert in no sense but I know a picture can say a lot so I’d keep her separated and take a picture or her poop and the separate her tonight or just make sure she has no access to food or water so you can rule out any problem she could have with her crop

Thanks for the info. You can give her another half.

If you have an infirmary crate, you can place her on a heating pad set to lowest temp with a moist thick towel over it. The moist heat will relax her and it will work with the calcium to move the egg out if that's her issue.

But as I and @selenaapril have recommended, the crop needs to be checked since it can be a very common problem, easily solved most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom