Eggbound hen? Please help!

I had a hen from my first flock who exhibited similar symptoms. Sadly, after just one day of acting like this, she died. That was about a year ago and none of my other hens exhibited anything like it. (I have two that were alive when she was.) I can't say exactly what was wrong with her (She wasn't egg bound) but I hope that your hen will get better.

I know your hen is not well, which is bad news, but the one thing that is good is that all of the potential problems that cause this behavior are specific to the hen, they are not contagious, and the rest of your flock will not be infected or suffer. Fortunately this is an isolated incident. I hope you are able to give your hen some comfort and relief. If it is acites it is possible to drain fluid to make her more comfortable, but this is not a cure either.

I had a hen from my first flock who exhibited similar symptoms. Sadly, after just one day of acting like this, she died. That was about a year ago and none of my other hens exhibited anything like it. (I have two that were alive when she was.) I can't say exactly what was wrong with her (She wasn't egg bound) but I hope that your hen will get better.
So sorry to hear about your hen. Thank you so much for the well wishes

Unfortunately, when they show symptoms of illness like this, it may not be a long time before you lose her. If you could take her to a vet tomorrow, that might get some answers, but I think it could be a reproductive disorder. That is the most common cause of death in hens. Vets can be very expensive for most of us, and some will not see chickens. Some do try antibiotics such as Baytril or amoxicillin to see if it helps, but many times it does nothing.

Is her crop empty or full, firm or puffy? Does her lower belly feel bloated or tight, or hard?

Unfortunately, when they show symptoms of illness like this, it may not be a long time before you lose her. If you could take her to a vet tomorrow, that might get some answers, but I think it could be a reproductive disorder. That is the most common cause of death in hens. Vets can be very expensive for most of us, and some will not see chickens. Some do try antibiotics such as Baytril or amoxicillin to see if it helps, but many times it does nothing.

Is her crop empty or full, firm or puffy? Does her lower belly feel bloated or tight, or hard?
Would i be able to crush some amoxicillin tablets and put them in her food? Her lower belly felt bloated and she was uncomfortable when i touched it. Her crop feels more firm than puffy.

Back
Top Bottom